Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Seal Eusebius? Stars 7th-8th Century?  (Read 1207 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine Seal Eusebius? Stars 7th-8th Century?
« on: April 20, 2019, 11:51:58 am »
I acquired an interesting Byzantine seal today  It weighs measures approximately 16 mm and weighs 4.51 g. 
On the obverse is:
  :Greek_epsilon::Greek_Stigma:
 :Greek_epsilon:  :Greek_Beta:  :Greek_Iota:  :Greek_Omicron:
possibly three small crosses below

On the reverse is:

:<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=star' target='_blank'>star</a>:  :Greek_Alpha:  :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=star' target='_blank'>star</a>:
 :Greek_Omicron:  :Greek_Iota: V

Could this be a Seal of Eusebius? or a variation of that name?  Would the 7th-8th Century be an appropriate date?
Any opinions would be appreciated Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Byzantine Seal Eusebius? Stars 7th-8th Century?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 04:03:27 am »
Nice seal,  +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 07:42:05 am »
Yes Eusebios. I think the last line has V, possibly +V+, making a genitive EVCEBIOV. I remember looking at this before and not being to pin down the reading of the reverse. Did you photograph it at the correct die axis? This is 12.00 for 99% of Byzantine seals.

Date is 7th century I'd say.
Regards
Gert

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 08:02:45 am »
Like this, maybe?  Nice seal!

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 10:33:45 pm »
Thank you for your valuable information Gert. This seal has the reverse rotated to 45 degrees to the right from the usual.  I agree that it seems that I had the reverse upside down.  Does the AIOV on the reverse denote an office or rank or as a modifier of Eusebios? Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 08:30:47 am »
To be honest, I have no idea. Maybe there's some more letters on the first line, but 'AIOV' on its own does not seem to make sense.
Regards
Gert

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 12:58:32 pm »
Hi, all.  To me the "A" on the reverse looks like a damaged Delta, so  :Greek_Delta: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon: with remnants of one or more letters above.  Jimi

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 11:08:44 am »
Yes, that is very much a possibility. Can't think of any offices with those letters. Possibly another name or patronym. Gennadios, Elpidios, Methodios - many possibilities.
Regards
GErt

All coins are guaranteed for eternity