Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Hanukkah Sameach! Tell them you want a coin from FORVM for Hanukkah!!!! Internet challenged? We are happy to take your order over the phone 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas!!! Tell them you want a coin from FORVM for Christmas!!!! Internet challenged? We are happy to take your order over the phone 252-646-1958.

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin of the Day (Moderator: LordBest)  |  Topic: Denarius of Cassius OTD 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Denarius of Cassius OTD  (Read 707 times)
gallienus1
Caesar

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst

« on: April 04, 2019, 03:47:03 am »

A denarius of Cassius has eluded me until today.  The flan is a bit ragged and it has a little surface corrosion, but it is well struck and good looking in the hand. Very pleased to put it in the tray next to my 42 B.C. denarius of Brutus, the allies together again after two millennia.

C. CASSIUS LONGINUS, denarius, issued Spring 42 B.C., mint travelling with Cassius and Brutus in the East (probably Smyrna), (3.16 g) obv. diademed head of Libertas to right, around, C CASSI IMP behind, LEIBERTAS, dotted border, rev. jug and lituus, below LENTVLVS SPINT, dotted border, (S.1447, Cr.500/1, Syd.1308, RSC 4).

Steve
quadrans
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 04:51:15 am »

Great coin, Steve,  Wink

Congratulation  Thumbs Up

Joe

gallienus1
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 04:56:18 am »

Thanks Joe. It is always nice to fill one of those nagging gaps in a collection.

best regards,
Steve
Jay GT4
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 05:51:54 am »

Great coin Steve.  I've wanted one of these for a long time too.  Congrats.

My Gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312

IG: @artisan.flooring
J. Grande
Steve P
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 06:05:52 am »

Wow, great addition (congrats)

Thumbs Up

"Very pleased to put it in the tray next to my 42 B.C. denarius of Brutus, the allies together again after two millennia"

... your comment made me smile  Wink
gallienus1
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 06:28:26 am »

Thanks Jay and Steve P.

It seems to me that gaps in a collection often conform to a numismatic version of of Murphy's Law. Changing it from -"if it can go wrong it will go wrong" to -"the more obvious the gap in a collection is the less often the coin needed to fill it will appear". 

Best regards,
Steve
Mark R1
Praetorian

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 06:43:10 am »

Quote from: gallienus1 on April 04, 2019, 03:47:03 am
A denarius of Cassius has eluded me until today.  The flan is a bit ragged and it has a little surface corrosion, but it is well struck and good looking in the hand. Very pleased to put it in the tray next to my 42 B.C. denarius of Brutus, the allies together again after two millennia.

C. CASSIUS LONGINUS, denarius, issued Spring 42 B.C., mint travelling with Cassius and Brutus in the East (probably Smyrna), (3.16 g) obv. diademed head of Libertas to right, around, C CASSI IMP behind, LEIBERTAS, dotted border, rev. jug and lituus, below LENTVLVS SPINT, dotted border, (S.1447, Cr.500/1, Syd.1308, RSC 4).

Steve

That’s a beauty. Great story coin too.

gallienus1
Caesar

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 05:02:57 pm »

Thanks Mark R1.

Always a pleasure to read appreciative comments when you show off a new acquisition.

Best regards,
Steve 
David Atherton
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

The meaning of life can be found in a coin.

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 04:29:12 am »

Fantastic coin with a lot of history behind it. Congrats!

orfew
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 07:34:06 pm »

A nice example of a very desirable coin. Congrats on adding this one to your collection.

gallienus1
Caesar

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 04:58:28 am »

Thanks David and orfew, it is always a pleasure to show off a coin to others who know of its importance and artistic merit.

Best regards,

Steve
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin of the Day (Moderator: LordBest)  |  Topic: Denarius of Cassius OTD « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop