Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Please help to ID balkan? silver#1  (Read 1440 times)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Please help to ID balkan? silver#1
« on: December 25, 2011, 04:15:52 pm »
Please help to ID balkan? silver#1

thanks
 quadrans
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline cuburo83

• Praetorian
Re: Please help to ID balkan? silver#1
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 05:13:50 pm »
Stratzimir , Vidin in Bulgaria

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 03:14:36 am »
thanks cuburo83

dates?
regards
quadrans
My Gallery

Offline cuburo83

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 11:59:03 am »
Second Bulgarian Empire, Vidin Kingdom, Ivan Stracimir, 1356 - 1397 A.D.
 Ivan Alexander divided his kingdom between his two sons. Ivan Stratsimir received Vidin. In 1365, the Hungarian King Louis I of Anjou captured Vidin. Sratsimir and his family were held captive in Croatia for four years but in 1369 Sratsimir was restored to his throne under Hungarian overlordship. After the Ottoman invasion in 1388, he was forced to acknowledge Ottoman overlordship and garrisons. In 1396 Sratsimir and his subjects aligned themselves with the anti-Ottoman Crusade led by the Hungarian king Sigismund of Luxemburg. The crusade ended in disaster at the battle of Nikopol on 25 Sep 1396. By the end of 1397 Sultan Bayezid I approached Vidin and, assured by the promise of his safety, Ivan Sratsimir came out to meet him. On the order of Bayezid I, Ivan Sratsimir was arrested and conveyed to Bursa, while the Sultan confiscated the contents of the Vidin treasury. Sratsimir's fate is unknown. Vidin was likely annexed by the Ottoman Empire in 1397, but at least part of the realm remained under the control of Sratsimir's son and heir Constantine II.

This type is described as a half grosch in older references. 
ME47140. Silver grosch, reduced weight; A. Radushev, G. Jecov. Catalog of the Bulgarian Medieval Coins. p. 178, 1.14.4; Moushmov 7542, c. 0.50g, c. 16mm diameter, Vidin mint, 1371 - 1376 A.D.; obverse nimbate half length figure of Christ, right hand raised in benediction, book of gospels in left, IC - XC flanking head, legend around; reverse Stracimar enthroned facing, nimbate, scepter in right, mappa in left, lis left and right, rosette between legs, legend around; VF, typical crude examples with uneven strikes and wavy flans; Forum's random selection from the same group as the coins in the photograph

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=47140q00.jpg&vpar=1635&zpg=56475&fld=https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins2/

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 03:48:23 pm »
cuburo83

you are great!

I learned a lot from you :)
thanx

regards
quadrans
My Gallery

Vladimir O