Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A not so common SPQR Claudius II from Cyzicus  (Read 1328 times)

Offline tetrico

• Consul
  • Caius Pius Esuvius Tetricus - Princeps Iuventutis
A not so common SPQR Claudius II from Cyzicus
« on: March 19, 2019, 11:00:18 am »
Hello, some days ago I have purchased this piece:

Ob\ "IMP C M AVR CLAVDIVS AVG", off. mint: "•••".
Rv\ "PAX AETERNA", ex.: "SPQR".
Cyzicus, new RIC n. #944

I have found only 3 ex on new RIC and another one from Auctiones GmbH n. 50/2016 lot. n. 242 (here: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3247784).

About Cyzicus mint under Claudius II I know only one paper: "L'overtour de l'atelier imperial de Cyzique..." by Jerome Mairat.

Do you know others bibliographic references?

I think that it's a not so common piece...
Many thanks to all!

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
Re: A not so common SPQR Claudius II from Cyzicus
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 12:57:06 pm »
 :I bid on this guy myself and congratulations on your new addition. This Emperor was my first series to collect (40 plus years ago, no less),  and this mint is indeed interesting. First one of these I've come across of this type from Cyzicus left bust.
Handsome bust and I would rate it rare...unless more appear from this hoard. Seems this seller is putting up a group and saw several others that stood out ...like those with M C in the field ....have a  couple in my collection...stands for Moneta Cyzicus.
Thanks for the post and keeping the pic in my folder!

Offline tetrico

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 06:03:15 am »
thanks for your reply.
Yes, I have noticed that the seller sold many pieces from this mint... an old collection?

Online mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 01:19:49 pm »
Hi,

I know Del Glover and looked through his stock on Friday. It is a cleaned hoard that he has acquired. No known find spot but must be from the Balkans looking at the number of these Smyrna/Cycicus coins that it contained.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline tetrico

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 09:08:35 am »
Thanks Mauseus for your reply!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity