Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Odd aureus with elements of Nero and Vespasian  (Read 858 times)

Offline Jose N

• Auxiliary
Odd aureus with elements of Nero and Vespasian
« on: March 10, 2019, 10:36:37 am »
Hello. I'm looking for advice on identifying a coin. Unfortunately it is not mine and I could not photograph it. What struck me as odd is that I cannot find any similar type online.

In this case the emperor is Nero but the obverse has Pax seated left, holding a caduceusCOS ITER TR POT. It is a type I can only find in some Vespasian aureus. I'm also wondering what the ITER portion means. COS I should be first year as a consul but what does the TER stand for?

It is, I guess, possible that this mix of characteristics means the coin is simply not genuine.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Odd aureus with elements of Nero and Vespasian
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 10:48:55 am »
I'm also wondering what the ITER portion means. COS I should be first year as a consul but what does the TER stand for?

Consul Iterum = "again" or "for the second time"

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 10:52:22 am »
Note the blue text.  COS ITER links to NumisWiki.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jose N

• Auxiliary
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 03:28:21 pm »
I'm also wondering what the ITER portion means. COS I should be first year as a consul but what does the TER stand for?

Consul Iterum = "again" or "for the second time"

Thank you :) We still have iterum at the root of words like iteration but I didn't even though it might be an abbreviation of that. So I know that at least the legend makes sense, and if genuine the coin is from the years 57–58. A big if imho. Still I'm tempted to acquire it just to investigate the issue.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 03:42:13 pm »
Even without seeing a picture, the odds are heavily in favor of the coin's being a modern concoction rather than an ancient mule (mint error) or ancient imitation. An ancient Indian imitation, however, might be a possibility.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity