Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Just added 3 nice denarii of Domitian  (Read 1195 times)

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
Just added 3 nice denarii of Domitian
« on: March 08, 2019, 02:41:25 pm »

I bought the first coin because I had not seen a Salus denarius before for Domitian. I really like the portrait on this one and the full legends do not hurt either. Though definitely not excessively rare, this is the first one I have had the opportunity to bid on.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-153786

Yes, the second coin is a Minerva, but not an ordinary one. The reverse legend makes this special. Note that the legend states CENS POT PP and not CENS P PP. I missed out on 2 of this type (not the same RIC number because the Minerva poses were different than this one) in the last 2 weeks and finally landed one for myself. The coin is rare but not as rare as other legend variations such as "CENSORIA POTESTAT" and "CENS POTES". According to RIC the fineness of the denarii was reduced to post reform Neronian standards between the "CENS POTES" and "CENS POT" issues. This supposedly took place between April and September of 85 CE.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-153787

As far as I am concerned I am saving the best for last. I have wanted this type since I saw one in @David Atherton 's gallery and on James Hazelton's website on Domitian coinage. One reason I wanted this was the legend variation on the obverse. Note that instead of "GERM" it spells out "GERMANIC". This is a rare variation for Domitian. However the star of the show is the reverse. Notice that instead of the normal legend around the edge it has "CENS PPP" and a Minerva. There is another issue with just "COS XIIII" on the reverse with Minerva. Both of these issues are rare. Stylistically, I love the look of this reverse and wish it had been continued on other issues for Domitian.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-153788

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
Re: Just added 3 nice denarii of Domitian
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 03:32:04 pm »
What a strike, congrats!

Alberto

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 04:33:00 pm »
Hi orf,

Nice coins! :)

Regarding the first and third coins, I don't think I've ever seen those before.

Meepzorp

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 04:36:44 pm »
All three are very nice.

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 04:48:38 pm »
Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 06:03:50 pm »
 :Greek_Theta: :reversedR: :Greek_Digamma: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_omega_small:  =>   :Greek_Nu: :Greek_Theta: :Greek_Tau:    :Greek_Tau: :Greek_Theta: :Greek_Theta:     :Greek_Stigma: :Greek_Eta: :Aupsidedown: :Greek_Beta: :Greek_Beta: :Greek_Upsilon:

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 06:59:40 pm »
Thanks Steve.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 08:41:33 am »
Andrew, I know you mentioned the reverse is the 'star' of your D568, but to me it's the portrait.

Superb coins all around!

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 09:05:04 am »

I bought the first coin because I had not seen a Salus denarius before for Domitian. I really like the portrait on this one and the full legends do not hurt either. Though definitely not excessively rare, this is the first one I have had the opportunity to bid on.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-153786

Yes, the second coin is a Minerva, but not an ordinary one. The reverse legend makes this special. Note that the legend states CENS POT PP and not CENS P PP. I missed out on 2 of this type (not the same RIC number because the Minerva poses were different than this one) in the last 2 weeks and finally landed one for myself. The coin is rare but not as rare as other legend variations such as "CENSORIA POTESTAT" and "CENS POTES". According to RIC the fineness of the denarii was reduced to post reform Neronian standards between the "CENS POTES" and "CENS POT" issues. This supposedly took place between April and September of 85 CE.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-153787

As far as I am concerned I am saving the best for last. I have wanted this type since I saw one in @David Atherton 's gallery and on James Hazelton's website on Domitian coinage. One reason I wanted this was the legend variation on the obverse. Note that instead of "GERM" it spells out "GERMANIC". This is a rare variation for Domitian. However the star of the show is the reverse. Notice that instead of the normal legend around the edge it has "CENS PPP" and a Minerva. There is another issue with just "COS XIIII" on the reverse with Minerva. Both of these issues are rare. Stylistically, I love the look of this reverse and wish it had been continued on other issues for Domitian.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-153788

All great addition, Andrew,

Regards

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 12:39:06 pm »
Thank you David and Joe. Your comments are always appreciated.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity