Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nice Seal of John the Patrikios? 7th Century?  (Read 891 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Nice Seal of John the Patrikios? 7th Century?
« on: March 15, 2019, 05:15:04 pm »
I am building a small collection of Byzantine seals from individuals named John.  I have just received a nice seal of John the Patrikos?  It measures 24.8 mm and weighs 12.8g.  It reads:

:<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=cross' target='_blank'>cross</a>:  :Greek_Iota:  :Greek_omega_small:
 :A:  :Greek_Nu:  :Greek_Nu:
OV

:<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=cross' target='_blank'>cross</a>:  :Greek_Pi:  :A:
 :Greek_Tau:  :Greek_Rho:  :Greek_Iota:  :Greek_Kappa:
OV

There is a braided border on both sides.

I believe that the seal can be translated as Seal of John the Patrikos and probably dates from the mid 7th century.  Am I right - what do you think?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Nice Seal of John the Patrikos
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 05:16:25 pm »
Great,  :) +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Nice Seal of John the Patrikos? 7th Century?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 07:02:32 am »
Yes, Johannes patrikios (not patrikos). Your dating seems ok. Unfortunately we don't know more of this John, but his high court dignity of patrikios means he was not a secretary. Normally, provincial governors/generals (strategoi) have this rank.
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Nice Seal of John the Patrikios? 7th Century?
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 08:19:07 am »
Thank you for the confirmation of my translation Gert!  I recently read that the "rank of Patrikios (Patrician) was an honorific title and most known holders of the title were generals, members of the imperial family, or sons of military leaders."  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity