Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Just added this rare Domitian Minerva  (Read 566 times)

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
Just added this rare Domitian Minerva
« on: March 05, 2019, 05:24:48 pm »

I actually do not blame anyone who has a problem attributing the Minerva reverse denarii of Domitian. After the first few the letters all run together and it can be difficult to compare all those titles to the listing in RIC. My strategy is to look up the reference, wait an hour and then repeat.

This one was misattributed as RIC 686.
The attribution was:

"Obverse: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P XIII, laureate head right
Reverse: IMP XXI COS XIII CENS P P P, Minerva standing right on capital of rostral column, brandishing spear and holding sheild, owl before"

But RIC 686 is not TR P XIII it is TR P VIIII. Also, the obverse on the actual coin reads TR P VIII. Although the 'V' looks a bit different it is not 'X' because this does not work with the other listed titles. It is an impossible dating combination.There is no TR P XIII IMP XXI COS IIII. IMP XXI stops at TR P XI. Also the attribution given cites COS XIII when the coin reads COS XIIII very clearly.

I really like the dark toning on this coin and it is a rare one. It is unlisted in BMC and RSC. I guess that means it is not in the British museum collection. The ANS has one and this is the only one listed on OCRE. There is no photo in the RIC plates. RIC lists one in the Dr Jryki Muona collection. Another was sold in 2013 as a part of a group lot in the Gemini auction. RIC 675 is also published in Peter Kos & Andrej Semrov " Roman Imperial Coins and Countermarks of the 1st century" Ljubljana (1995).

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-153742

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
Re: Just added this rare Domitian Minerva
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 05:31:09 pm »
Nice find Andrew.

I own one myself, from different dies I think.

Alberto

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 06:43:04 pm »
Love the cool lil' owl ... congrats, Orfew

+++

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 07:08:01 pm »
Thanks Steve, I like the owl too.

Thanks Alberto. Yours is the only other one I can find a photo of online.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 01:28:56 am »
Nice Addition, Andrew,   +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 03:12:31 am »
Thanks Q. Your comments are always appreciated.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity