Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: John II Comnenus Electrum Aspron Trachy  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
John II Comnenus Electrum Aspron Trachy
« on: March 03, 2019, 08:04:53 pm »
In my quest to finish all of the coins of John Comnenus I (1118-1143) I managed to get the last of the three types I needed for his Electrum Aspron Trachy series. This one was minted in Thessalonica and what makes it notable different from the other two types minted in Constantinople is the labarum on the reverse between St. George and John II.

SBCV-1951, The hardest of the three Electrum Aspron trachy to acquire, bit worn, bit battered but I like it, The coin is 4.1gm and 29.95mm

Interesting note for John II coinage, he was the one who introduced St. George to his coins and St. Demetrius. Coins were used to send the population a message like the days of old but instead of deities, Saints were put on coins to send the message. These Saints were picked because of their warrior skills, he used them to remind the population and its neighbors ( Especially the Latin Crusaders) that the empire was Militarily strong.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: John II Comnenus Electrum Aspron Trachy
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 08:49:14 pm »
SBCV-1941
SBCV-1942
SBCV-1951
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 11:24:20 pm »
wow, really nice.

Offline sfhmgusa

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 04:01:33 pm »
beautiful coins well done!

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 05:14:17 pm »
Thank You both, When I finished the book In the Shadow of Father and Son I decided I would finish the collection for John II first.  He upheld his fathers purity of the gold coins.

The first two were easier to get and the third one was scarcer and took a little time.

I am curios if anyone knows about the black on the coin with the standard with three steps seen above, what is it? Can I clean it? Should I clean it?. It seems firm not powdery at all. Now remember this is a mixed metal coin so its not just gold, so perhaps it is a reaction of one of the other metals.  Any feedback would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Simon

Offline sfhmgusa

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 01:24:27 pm »
 Hi Simon

The first thing to say is that the coin is a beauty so doing nothing would be almost certainly the sensible option.

That having been said and as someone not all together sensible, I would probably have a gentle explore of the area to see if the black could be removed/ reduced.  if you have a binocular microscope I would have a look at the black material under that and use a wooden cocktail stick to gently posh as one small part of the black material if it is immobile... personally I would stop there, but if even a tiny improvement can be achieved with slow work.. I would work on it and try to clean it. My guess is that it is  a silver compound formed by Bi/Tri metallic contact and it wont budge easily  but it might just be "dirt"

FYI I have improved some of my Byzantine collection by gentle cleaning I have made no difference to most  and spoiled several when I have either rushed or used metal tools

S

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 02:56:57 pm »
Thank You S,

I do have a microscope for coins, I will try to work on it a little, it annoys me. So if I can lose it without hurting the coin all the better.

Thanks again for your input.

Best,

Simon

All coins are guaranteed for eternity