Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Making your own tags and naming your collection  (Read 4162 times)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Making your own tags and naming your collection
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2019, 11:13:58 am »
Dear TIF, Steve, and Ralf,

All in my trays I always save some free place reserve the next coming coins, ...

Each place has printed documents underlay the coins the same size like the the coins is...

I have also a number of the coins but that number are two different number the first dedicated the rulers the second dedicated which the number of its coins and how many examples and variations I have...

and

Paralelly I used a "coin organizer" software which included all details and I have to search for each detail ...

...because after several thousand coins very complicate to memorized everything...

Regards

Joe/Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2019, 11:17:18 am »
For each coin I have a plastic sleeve containing a written document with all the data, invoices, screenshots of auctions etc.. Additionally I have all this in digital form.

I like the idea of one plastic sleeve (full page size for a binder) per coin.  These days, hanging on to invoices and export permits seems important.

Yes but the " coin organizer " software also has so many important information including your coin picture and some other details,

and always with you in your handy or Ipad or laptop ...

Joe/Q.
My Gallery

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2019, 11:33:36 am »
Some tray like this :

regards

Joe/Q.
My Gallery

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2019, 11:48:53 am »
Some page from the software what I used:

Regards

Joe/Q.
My Gallery

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2019, 12:40:14 pm »
I use a three ring binder with plastic sleeves. Inside each sleeve is a 8X10 print out of a photo of the coin and the auction or retail information. The sleeve also contain receipts and any information on provenance. I also include any old envelopes or ephemera that came with the coin. I also have a digital archive where I keep a photo of the coin and a screenshot of the auction. I also use WORD to keep a chronological list of all the coin attributions. In addition Have a number of auction catalogues that contain coins that I purchased. I am always looking for further provenance of my coins.

As for storage all of my coins are in Abafil trays and have either a homemade tag or the tag that arrived with the coin. I enjoy using the trays as it is very easy to view and access the coins.

It works for me. Your mileage may vary.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2019, 01:51:47 pm »
when it takes off I'll quit my day job and make coin trays and enjoy my fabulous new-found wealth. 

I've been building cabinets and trays for 10 years now, and I'm still waiting.......

Craig

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2019, 04:04:09 pm »
I have my coins in Beba system and every coin has its catalog reference number according to which they are arranged, but also their personal identification number. Forty-odd years ago, I made categories like '1 = Greek and Celtic' '2 = Roman Republic' etc. So Pius 777, the very common sestertius with Pax setting fire to a heap of arms, is catalogued: III (RIC volume) Antoninus Pius 777 (cat nr) full description etc. 7-1062 which is catalog 7 (all coins issued under Antoninus Pius) number 1064 (the 1064th coin of collection 7) Photos are catalogued likewise without the full description of course. In this way it is easy to find the coin and its photo.

Frans

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2019, 08:16:31 am »
A lot of good ideas in this thread.  I mostly use Forum's gallery for quick reference to see if I have a coin I'm looking to buy.  I think I should print off or screen grab each coin in my gallery as a back up.  All my receipts are in a 3 ring binder organized by dealer.

While I like the idea of reference and coordinate  numbers, for me simplicity is key.  I don't want to make it complicated but I do want it organized.

Offline Aeneas

• Consul
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2019, 03:00:26 pm »
I keep my coins in those trays consisting of a sturdy plastic box and a much lighter plastic tray lined with some kind of velvet. They are separated by denomination and mint, in buying order. Each of my coins has a unique identifier XX-YYY where XX is the year when I purchased the coin and YYY is the number of the coin I bought in that year. So for example CA-15-002 is the second coin of Caracalla that I bought in 2015. I keep track of all my coins and the dealer pictures on a spreadsheet and I use the build-in functions to print a sheet with the most important informations of the coins that I keep underneath the trays.

David

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2019, 05:56:57 pm »
That's nice David.  Unfortunately my inserts don't lift out of the tray.

Offline arizonarobin

• Caesar
  • Ms. arizonarobin :)
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2019, 12:43:46 am »
I have my coins in one of the Forum's wooden coin file boxes from when they reorganized and sold some off. I absolutely love it. For the ones that don't fit, I have binders with flip pages. All mine are in flips with tags, keeping any original tags they came with as well as mine. Although I don't customize a picture on my tags anymore.... they are Pink.   ;D :-[

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2019, 09:30:45 am »
Hi guys ... Steve here

Ummm, I also preferred having an entire page(s) for each of my precious babies ... I kept all of my coins and coin-pages within several 3-Ring Binders

=> oh, and then I kept all of those sweet binders in a 500 pound gun-safe, which was bolted to my concrete basement floor (hey, perhaps there may be a couple of flaws in case of fire, but overall it was the best idea for this guy)

Here are a couple of photos of my previous storage method ... good times (it was a fun and efficient method)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity