Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need help identifying old gold coins - Round 2!  (Read 364 times)

Dan B

Need help identifying old gold coins - Round 2!
« on: February 21, 2019, 04:41:58 pm »
Hi there,
I came into some gold coins from a family member and I have no idea what they are, where they come from, etc. I will only be doing one coin at a time as per the rules, but do have 4 in total I need help identifying.

Someone was already able to identify the first two coins within the day - so I am hoping for some more help from you lovely people

I've tried to do some research myself - but i find some of the designs are so similar - so i end up searching for hours and getting nowhere or second guessing myself constantly!
My goal is simply to understand what is the name/type of each coin I own - era, are they greek or roman or byzantine etc

Was hoping someone here who sees coins constantly could make some sense of it.

Here are the details I know of this particular coin:

Coin Weight: 3.0g
Coin Size: ~17mm
Gold Content: Pass 18k acid test no problem

I have attached pictures (please ignore the color change, my original picture was blurry so had to retake it with diff lighting!)
Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide that will help!

Thank you so much in advance

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Need help identifying old gold coins - Round 2!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 06:23:04 pm »
Did we just see this same coin a month or two ago?

Dan B

Re: Need help identifying old gold coins - Round 2!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 04:33:42 pm »
Valentian. VOTA PUBLICA
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/valentinian_I/_nicomedia_RIC_016a_E.jpg
DT

Thank you so much!!! :):):)
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your assistance in identifying this coin!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity