Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Identification Help (Moderators: Varangian, Arados)  |  Topic: Need help identifying old gold coins - Round 2! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need help identifying old gold coins - Round 2!  (Read 169 times)
Dan B
Legionary

« on: February 21, 2019, 02:41:58 pm »

Hi there,
I came into some gold coins from a family member and I have no idea what they are, where they come from, etc. I will only be doing one coin at a time as per the rules, but do have 4 in total I need help identifying.

Someone was already able to identify the first two coins within the day - so I am hoping for some more help from you lovely people

I've tried to do some research myself - but i find some of the designs are so similar - so i end up searching for hours and getting nowhere or second guessing myself constantly!
My goal is simply to understand what is the name/type of each coin I own - era, are they greek or roman or byzantine etc

Was hoping someone here who sees coins constantly could make some sense of it.

Here are the details I know of this particular coin:

Coin Weight: 3.0g
Coin Size: ~17mm
Gold Content: Pass 18k acid test no problem

I have attached pictures (please ignore the color change, my original picture was blurry so had to retake it with diff lighting!)
Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide that will help!

Thank you so much in advance
Dominic T
Consul

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 04:01:59 pm »

Valentian. VOTA PUBLICA
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/valentinian_I/_nicomedia_RIC_016a_E.jpg
DT
djmacdo
Tribunus Plebis 2017
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 04:23:04 pm »

Did we just see this same coin a month or two ago?
Dan B
Legionary

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 02:33:42 pm »

Thank you so much!!! SmileySmileySmiley
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your assistance in identifying this coin!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Identification Help (Moderators: Varangian, Arados)  |  Topic: Need help identifying old gold coins - Round 2! « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop