Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need help identifying old gold coins - Round 2!  (Read 367 times)

Dan B

Need help identifying old gold coins - Round 2!
« on: February 21, 2019, 04:41:58 pm »
Hi there,
I came into some gold coins from a family member and I have no idea what they are, where they come from, etc. I will only be doing one coin at a time as per the rules, but do have 4 in total I need help identifying.

Someone was already able to identify the first two coins within the day - so I am hoping for some more help from you lovely people

I've tried to do some research myself - but i find some of the designs are so similar - so i end up searching for hours and getting nowhere or second guessing myself constantly!
My goal is simply to understand what is the name/type of each coin I own - era, are they greek or roman or byzantine etc

Was hoping someone here who sees coins constantly could make some sense of it.

Here are the details I know of this particular coin:

Coin Weight: 3.0g
Coin Size: ~17mm
Gold Content: Pass 18k acid test no problem

I have attached pictures (please ignore the color change, my original picture was blurry so had to retake it with diff lighting!)
Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide that will help!

Thank you so much in advance

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Need help identifying old gold coins - Round 2!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 06:23:04 pm »
Did we just see this same coin a month or two ago?

Dan B

Re: Need help identifying old gold coins - Round 2!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 04:33:42 pm »
Valentian. VOTA PUBLICA
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/valentinian_I/_nicomedia_RIC_016a_E.jpg
DT

Thank you so much!!! :):):)
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your assistance in identifying this coin!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity