Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How can I tell this coin is fake? Brass? What coin is it a replica of?  (Read 791 times)

Offline Joseph V3

• Legionary
Hello Friends,

First post, I hope this will interest you all.

I found this coin in Athens, it was not represented as gold and was picked out of a box. 5 Euro then I cleaned it with olive oil because I couldn't tell what it was from all the gunk. I'm sure it is a replica in brass, but how do I tell?

1. From looking at the coin, what factors stand out showing it is a fake?

2. What is this a replica of?

Thanks for the help!

Joseph

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: How can I tell this coin is fake? Brass? What coin is it a replica of?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 03:53:48 pm »
First, it is clearly a cast.  Note how the reverse is not sharp but rounded and unclear, indicative of a cast, while the originals were struck are have nice, sharp edges to the figure and lettering.  Second, if you look at the edge, you can probably see signs of the point where the two edges of the mold were joined and where the metal was poured in.  Third, since it was covered with "gunk" and sold for a low price, it is almost certainly NOT gold.  Gold does not tarnish or corrode, brass does--and guy in Athens who sell fake coins to tourists just do not miss gold!  The are a sharp as a razor about gold!

Offline Joseph V3

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 04:20:15 pm »
Thank you so much,

I see it where it was clamped, I wondered about that and its not sharp at all. Thank you for the tip.

Also, if you know what coin it is a replica of or just a new creation? 

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 05:07:35 pm »
Dear Joseph!

Your coin is not a replica, but a new creation based on a type of Locris/Opuntia.

Best regards

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 11:42:48 pm »
Hi Joseph,

Welcome to FORVM!

I hope you look at the 5 EURO you spent on this item as a ticket to a world of collecting authentic ancient coins. Contrary to common perception, ancient coins are actually affordable. Yes, you can even find some at the 5 EURO mark, but there are many great ancient coins which can be found to suit almost any budget.

There are lots of resources and many knowledgeable members on this forum that can help guide you with that journey. Have a look at the FORVM shop for examples of different coins you could buy and hopefully develop some interest in this hobby.

Peter

Offline Joseph V3

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 08:47:42 am »
Thank you all, sorry I didn't see the replies. I'm back :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity