Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small Elephant Coin ID Help Please  (Read 409 times)

Offline Joseph D3

• Legionary
Small Elephant Coin ID Help Please
« on: February 21, 2019, 12:25:30 am »
Hello and thank you for taking the time to check this out. I was doing well today with my attributions of the small lot that I received a few years ago. That was until i found this very small coin (please see pic, it fits easily on a dime). It appears to have an elephant facing left on the reverse with a line and an  :Greek_Delta: under it. There is a badly worn face on the front. Spent hours on wildwinds and numismatic but none of them seemed to match any. Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated. I am enjoying this and the history associated with the emperors but after a few hours of being stumped it gets rough lol.  Thank you for looking

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Small Elephant Coin ID Help Please
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 12:40:39 am »
Try the Seleukids.  

Something like this:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1929337

I just typed in Seleukid and elephant and then scrolled through.  That should get you on the right path.

Offline Joseph D3

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 01:28:58 am »
Thank you Jay! I would have never even searched for them. Every coin in the lot so far has been Roman. Thank you again, I appreciate it.  Now I get to learn about the Seleukids

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 09:46:38 am »
Every coin in the lot so far has been Roman. . . . Now I get to learn about the Seleukids

Were the other coins in the small lot issued by Roman mints within or proximate to what was formerly Seleukid terrain? Once you research the Seleucid coin, and know when and where it was issued, ask yourself what you might infer about the circulation of Seleukid copper coins based on that coin's presence in your small lot of Roman coins (assuming that the coins in the lot were all culled from the same hoard).
Stkp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity