Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: Small Byzantine Seal Alpha Theta Early? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Small Byzantine Seal Alpha Theta Early?  (Read 454 times)
pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« on: February 16, 2019, 04:46:14 am »

I have a small Byzantine seal in a style that I am not familiar with - I am not even sure of the orientation.  I am assuming that there are an  A Alpha and a  Greek_Theta_2 theta and positioned it accordingly.  It measures approximately 12.7 mm and weighs 1.34 g.  It looks early to me  I would appreciate any comments.  Pogh_poor

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.
pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 12:08:30 pm »

I did not indicate before, but both the obverse and reverse have the  A and  Greek_Theta_2  Pogh_poor

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.
Aleph
Consul

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 07:45:09 pm »

An A and an O would be a Christian reference maybe?
pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 06:46:09 am »

I think that it is most likely a monogram for a personal name.  Pogh_poor

stultus
Procurator Monetae
Consul

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 02:32:32 pm »

I cannot see the theta. I do not know what it is, but it does not seem to be ancient, butthe style is rather modern or early modern.
It is only a guess, I have not seen anything like this.
pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 03:08:01 pm »

It a Byzantine seal from a lot including 6 most definitely 6th century.  The bar  from the Byzantine Greek A   A extends through the circle to make the theta ..  There is probably some ligature of letters going on too.  pogh_pogh

djmacdo
Tribunus Plebis 2017
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 03:56:27 pm »

Rather than early, this may be late and European rather than Byzantine.  I have seen this 4 shape Apha-Omega form on sixteen-eighteenth century French merchants' seals, usually surrouned by the merchant's name, but apparently missing here because of small flan.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: Small Byzantine Seal Alpha Theta Early? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop