Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small Byzantine Seal Alpha Theta Early?  (Read 1244 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Small Byzantine Seal Alpha Theta Early?
« on: February 16, 2019, 06:46:14 am »
I have a small Byzantine seal in a style that I am not familiar with - I am not even sure of the orientation.  I am assuming that there are an  :A: Alpha and a  :Greek_Theta_2: theta and positioned it accordingly.  It measures approximately 12.7 mm and weighs 1.34 g.  It looks early to me  I would appreciate any comments.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Small Byzantine Seal Alpha Theta Early?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 02:08:30 pm »
I did not indicate before, but both the obverse and reverse have the  :A: and  :Greek_Theta_2:  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Aleph

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 09:45:09 pm »
An A and an O would be a Christian reference maybe?

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 08:46:09 am »
I think that it is most likely a monogram for a personal name.  Pogh_poor

Offline stultus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 04:32:32 pm »
I cannot see the theta. I do not know what it is, but it does not seem to be ancient, butthe style is rather modern or early modern.
It is only a guess, I have not seen anything like this.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 05:08:01 pm »
It a Byzantine seal from a lot including 6 most definitely 6th century.  The bar  from the Byzantine Greek A   :A: extends through the circle to make the theta ..  There is probably some ligature of letters going on too.  pogh_pogh

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 05:56:27 pm »
Rather than early, this may be late and European rather than Byzantine.  I have seen this 4 shape Apha-Omega form on sixteen-eighteenth century French merchants' seals, usually surrouned by the merchant's name, but apparently missing here because of small flan.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity