Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small Byzantine Seal Alpha Theta Early?  (Read 1227 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Small Byzantine Seal Alpha Theta Early?
« on: February 16, 2019, 06:46:14 am »
I have a small Byzantine seal in a style that I am not familiar with - I am not even sure of the orientation.  I am assuming that there are an  :A: Alpha and a  :Greek_Theta_2: theta and positioned it accordingly.  It measures approximately 12.7 mm and weighs 1.34 g.  It looks early to me  I would appreciate any comments.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Small Byzantine Seal Alpha Theta Early?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 02:08:30 pm »
I did not indicate before, but both the obverse and reverse have the  :A: and  :Greek_Theta_2:  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Aleph

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 09:45:09 pm »
An A and an O would be a Christian reference maybe?

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 08:46:09 am »
I think that it is most likely a monogram for a personal name.  Pogh_poor

Offline stultus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 04:32:32 pm »
I cannot see the theta. I do not know what it is, but it does not seem to be ancient, butthe style is rather modern or early modern.
It is only a guess, I have not seen anything like this.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 05:08:01 pm »
It a Byzantine seal from a lot including 6 most definitely 6th century.  The bar  from the Byzantine Greek A   :A: extends through the circle to make the theta ..  There is probably some ligature of letters going on too.  pogh_pogh

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 05:56:27 pm »
Rather than early, this may be late and European rather than Byzantine.  I have seen this 4 shape Apha-Omega form on sixteen-eighteenth century French merchants' seals, usually surrouned by the merchant's name, but apparently missing here because of small flan.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity