Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Books and References (Moderator: Severus_Alexander)  |  Topic: New Books for me -- Barrington Atlas, RBW Collection, and more 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Books for me -- Barrington Atlas, RBW Collection, and more  (Read 426 times)
PMah
Consul

Still Rusty in 2019

« on: February 13, 2019, 07:38:52 pm »

February isn't half over, but it is numismatically going extremely well for me.  The books are stacking up:

The Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World -- a giant book, not easy to find, pre-loved, but only the dust jacket needs repair. (And is about 32 by 48 cms!)

New, and not any easier to lug home:

The RBW Collection, from the sale catalogs, consolidated by NAC with additional notes, including from Andrew McCabe.
Fides, the ANS festschrift for RBW (also with McCabe article) (and 500 pgs+)

And, the current AJN has arrived!

Not only that, I have a few great books from Forum that are soon to arrive.  I am not sure I want an early Spring!

Jay GT4
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 07:43:17 pm »

Great pick ups!  I've been looking for an affordable Barrington's for a long time.

My Gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312

IG: @artisan.flooring
J. Grande
PMah
Consul

Still Rusty in 2019

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 07:55:25 pm »

Thank you, Jay.  It took a great deal of patience and a bit of bargaining to get to "affordable".  I actually picked up the 2 volume companion directory/notes sooner than the Atlas itself.  I think a large portion of a bottom shelf will become home to the atlas; too dangerous to have above one's head

I will post some notes in a few weeks as I get more familiar with it.

Carausius
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 08:09:17 pm »

Wonderful books PMah!  I don't yet have the Barrington Atlas in my library.  It's perpetually on my book want list.  Alas, it's expensive and oversized. Neither my wallet nor bookshelf have room.

Equity
Consul

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 08:40:24 pm »

The iPad version of the Barrington atlas, modulo a few minor bugs, was quite usable in my experience. It cost about 20 USD a few years ago.

Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.
PMah
Consul

Still Rusty in 2019

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 09:32:36 pm »

If only it came with a free IPad!

Molinari
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Herakles cheated!

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 04:46:53 am »

The Barrington Atlas is outstanding—nice pick up.

otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis 2016
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 10:23:59 am »

I bought a non-cheap Barrington several years ago.  Can't say I have yet to get my money's worth in terms of real use - but I have more than made up for that in sheer pleasure.  Just browsing through it, looking at routes and regions and imagining that world....

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
David Atherton
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

The meaning of life can be found in a coin.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 04:48:43 pm »

I bought a non-cheap Barrington several years ago.  Can't say I have yet to get my money's worth in terms of real use - but I have more than made up for that in sheer pleasure.  Just browsing through it, looking at routes and regions and imagining that world....

SC

This is exactly my situation with the Atlas. Purchased mine at a Borders Books many years ago (full price!) and now only use it occasionally, but gosh it's a pleasure when I do!

Cheers, David

My Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/2cgd8r
PMah
Consul

Still Rusty in 2019

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 06:48:39 pm »

Sheer pleasure! An investment in precision and accuracy,  which do not always go together!

PMah
Consul

Still Rusty in 2019

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 06:30:16 pm »

To update my earlier post

February isn't half over, but it is numismatically going extremely well for me.  The books are stacking up:

Not only that, I have a few great books from Forum that are soon to arrive.  I am not sure I want an early Spring!

My Forum books arrived today !  Let me praise a bit before the reveal:  Forum ships in new boxes, solidly packed.  In this photo, the books are each separately wrapped and sealed. Essays... Hersh is basically shrink-wrapped.  They are in pristine condition.    PLUS -- and this is a big plus depending on where you live -- Forum goes through the effort of sending books by Media Mail/Book Rate, which is well under 75% of most forms of shipping today.  That essentially saves the cost of a book with each shipment.

(Full disclosure -- I have coins consigned to Forum, so I am focusing today only on books recently purchased from Forum)

PMah
Consul

Still Rusty in 2019

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 06:32:55 pm »

And, now the “reveal”, in chronological order:

T.V. Buttrey, Jr., “The Triumviral Portrait Gold of the Quattuorviri Monetales of 42 B.C.”, ANS Numismatic Notes No. 137 (1956)

ANS, Museum Notes No. 21 (1976), incl. T.V. Buttrey, The Denarii of P. Crepusius and Roman Republican Mint Organization, and C.A. Hersh, A Tri-Denominational Hoard of Early Roman Silver Coins from Sicily, among other good things.

ANS, Museum Notes No. 29 (1984), incl. Hersh & Walker , The Mesagne Hoard, , again amid other fine articles.

And, not least,

Coins of Macedonia and Rome, Essays in Honour of Charles Hersh, Burnett, Wartenberg and Witschonke, eds. (Spink 1998), which has so many good things I may just have to keep wrapping and unwrapping it.  

Even though ANS has uploaded many of its publications, it is still great fun to have key writings on topics of core interest directly in hand, especially at very reasonable prices.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Books and References (Moderator: Severus_Alexander)  |  Topic: New Books for me -- Barrington Atlas, RBW Collection, and more « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop