Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Just added this Titus denarius  (Read 421 times)

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
Just added this Titus denarius
« on: February 10, 2019, 09:45:58 pm »
I just bought this Titus. On first glance it is nothing too special. It is a very common coin for Titus. However, take a closer look at the reverse. Underneath the triangular frame is a lituus. This turns out to be a rare variant of RIC 124. This type was carried over into the first issue of Domitian's coinage. RIC 3 for Domitian shows the pulvinar with the triangular frame. It is a rare coin but also has with a rare variant, a lituus under the frame. I have both of these for Domitian. For some time I have wanted the Titus variant.

According to @David Atherton on his forum gallery pages, there are 3 known varieties of the lituus type for Titus. One has 3 palmettes, one has five, and one has nine. Mine is the type with nine palmettes. This makes my coin RIC 124c in the yet to be published addendum to RIC II Part 1.

This is a worn but still pleasing coin imho. I am very happy to add this one to my collection.

As an added bonus this coin completes my 3rd 12 Caesars set.

Titus AR Denarius. Rome Mint
79-81 CE
(17 mm 3.15 g)
Obv: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M, laureate head right
Rev:TR P IX IMP XV — COS VIII P P, draped processional chair, triangular frame by decorated with nine Palmattes Lituus under triangular frame.
RIC 124c (in the as yet unpublished addendum to RIC II Part 1)
Ex: Savoca 16thBlue auction Lot 978 February 10, 2019

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-153216

All coins are guaranteed for eternity