Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: Interesting Byzantine Seal 6th-7th Century Potentios? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting Byzantine Seal 6th-7th Century Potentios?  (Read 347 times)
pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« on: February 10, 2019, 02:54:24 pm »

I acquired a nice 6th-7th Byzantine seal which measures 19.62 mm  and weighs 6.55 g.  On the obverse is a bust of the Theotokos facing, holding the infant Christ; crosses flanking.  On the reverse, is a cruciform monogram with either gammareversed ( eta) or  Greek_Pi (Pi) Greek_Omicron  Greek_Iota Greek_Upsilon_2  ( Greek_epsilon or  Greek_Xi  ) and  Greek_omega_small  I think that this seal dates from the 6th or 7th Century.  Could the monogram read as some form of Potentios?  Any opinions?  Pogh_poor

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.
Gert
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 04:27:23 am »

Isn't that a retrograde gamma on the left? Or do you see evidence of a weakly struck pi? That is certainly E at the left. Potentios is unlikely because there's no trace of N. In fact, with these letters, I can't think of anything. Perhaps a rho is missing for 'Georgiou'...
Regards
Gert

pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 01:38:15 pm »

It definitely is not a weakly struck Pi.  I think that it is very plausibly a retrograde Gamma although the letter appears quite similar a character on a seal in the Dumbarton Oaks collection which they concluded was an Eta.  However, if it was an Eta, it really makes no sense.  With Gamma, it would be quite similar to many examples of George.  Does it appear to be 6th Century to you too?  Pogh_poor

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.
Gert
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 02:02:40 pm »

Yes, these are usually dated 550-650 in Zacos/Veglery. If you'd like to be more precise, I'd say end 6th century, but that is largely subjective.
Regards
Gert

pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 04:09:07 am »

Here is an example of a similar character -though I think that its a weakly struck Pi in the Dumbarton Oaks example

Obverse

Cruciform monogram. Wreath border.

α - λ - ο - π - υ

Παύλου

Seal of) Paul kandidatos.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: Interesting Byzantine Seal 6th-7th Century Potentios? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop