Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting Byzantine Seal 6th-7th Century Potentios?  (Read 951 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Interesting Byzantine Seal 6th-7th Century Potentios?
« on: February 10, 2019, 04:54:24 pm »
I acquired a nice 6th-7th Byzantine seal which measures 19.62 mm  and weighs 6.55 g.  On the obverse is a bust of the Theotokos facing, holding the infant Christ; crosses flanking.  On the reverse, is a cruciform monogram with either :gammareversed: ( eta) or  :Greek_Pi: (Pi) :Greek_Omicron:  :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Upsilon_2:  ( :Greek_epsilon: or  :Greek_Xi:  ) and  :Greek_omega_small:  I think that this seal dates from the 6th or 7th Century.  Could the monogram read as some form of Potentios?  Any opinions?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Interesting Byzantine Seal 6th-7th Century Potentios?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 06:27:23 am »
Isn't that a retrograde gamma on the left? Or do you see evidence of a weakly struck pi? That is certainly E at the left. Potentios is unlikely because there's no trace of N. In fact, with these letters, I can't think of anything. Perhaps a rho is missing for 'Georgiou'...
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 03:38:15 pm »
It definitely is not a weakly struck Pi.  I think that it is very plausibly a retrograde Gamma although the letter appears quite similar a character on a seal in the Dumbarton Oaks collection which they concluded was an Eta.  However, if it was an Eta, it really makes no sense.  With Gamma, it would be quite similar to many examples of George.  Does it appear to be 6th Century to you too?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 04:02:40 pm »
Yes, these are usually dated 550-650 in Zacos/Veglery. If you'd like to be more precise, I'd say end 6th century, but that is largely subjective.
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 06:09:07 am »
Here is an example of a similar character -though I think that its a weakly struck Pi in the Dumbarton Oaks example

Obverse

Cruciform monogram. Wreath border.

α - λ - ο - π - υ

Παύλου

Seal of) Paul kandidatos.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity