Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: SyllogeApp  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
SyllogeApp
« on: February 06, 2019, 03:06:39 pm »
Is anyone out there using the SyllogeApp by Lorenzo Moretti?  It would be nice to have my collection stored, with all relevant data, in an app that doesn’t require internet access, so I’m thinking about using it.

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: SyllogeApp
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 05:48:26 pm »
I'm not familiar with it. It is a bit late in the day to start loading the entire collection onto a new platform, but I would be interested in finding out more about it. Stkp

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 07:01:00 am »
I’m transferring just my main collection of man-faced bull coinage, so under 100 coins. I’ll post some screen shots when/if I finish.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 10:56:27 am »
I'm not familiar with the app, but I would be leary about using any application that is not exportable to a standard format that can be used elsewhere.  Once the app is no longer supported (which inevitably happens), your data will be lost.  I use an MS Access database that I've designed through trial and error. 

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 02:14:39 pm »
Is yours compatible with smart devices?

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 02:50:38 pm »
MS Access might work on smart devices using the Windows Mobile OS. To my knowledge, MS Access is not compatible with iPhone or Android.  I can create a PDF catalogue that I can view on my Android phone, but that's less than ideal.  I use the Access database on my Windows desktop and tablet for collection management and tag production.  If phone access is important, there other database options.

Offline arizonarobin

• Caesar
  • Ms. arizonarobin :)
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 03:36:32 pm »
I downloaded the app for Windows and also for my phone. It seems interesting but needs a lot of work.

The windows version does not seem to function properly and locks up frequently.
The phone app works better, I was able to actually add a folder and coin (can't on the windows version). There does not
seem to be a real login- although you make a chat id and password. It also does not seem to sync properly.

Great idea but I'm not sure I would invest the time and effort into putting my collection there- I think there is a good chance it would
be lost eventually. (either due to not updating or errors in the app itself- also user comments in the phone app say they lost their entire database on update)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity