Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Greek Coins (Moderators: Dino, Meepzorp)  |  Topic: Three Rare Sigloi With Lion Engraved Reverses 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Three Rare Sigloi With Lion Engraved Reverses  (Read 192 times)
Nemonater
Caesar

« on: February 07, 2019, 09:15:29 pm »

Although staring at the reverses of Persian sigloi will result in severe pareidolia, it can also lead to some interesting purchases. Here are three with lion heads engraved into the reverse die.

The first two are a reverse die match, not sure about the obverse.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-142641

An interesting roaring lion obverse countermark.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-153169

And here is a second variety, roaring head left.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-153168

Enjoy,

Nemo

Jay GT4
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 09:38:13 pm »

Great finds Nemo.  Now I'll be on the lookout for one for myself!

My Gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312

IG: @artisan.flooring
J. Grande
Nemonater
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 09:40:39 pm »

Yeah, that’s always the problem with posting cool rarities, increased competition!
 Cry

quadrans
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 10:20:36 pm »

Great variations... Thumbs Up

Q.

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 06:11:21 am »

I have wanted these types for years and have not found them.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
djmacdo
Tribunus Plebis 2017
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 06:17:55 am »

I first saw sigloi with tiny figures in the reverse incuse a few years ago.  They are as rare as hen's teeth--great find.
Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 07:10:51 am »

Oh, a reminder to all, NumisWiki has a useful siglos page.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Nemonater
Caesar

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 01:13:26 pm »

Thanks for the kind words guys. I wish we had an idea of why these lion reverse were put into circulation and why so few survive to the present.

Joe, the NumisWiki page is great.  The first Type IV (late) plate coin on the page is in my collection, ex Forvm.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-104838

I don't think i'll ever find a better one.

JBF
Caesar

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 04:43:25 pm »

very cool!  They kind of look like banker's marks (although they're not, but in the die.), I wonder if they could have technologically evolved out of banker's marks.  I will ask, but I understand if you don't answer because you yourself are hunting for other rare varieties.  Roll Eyes  Are there other rare varieties with figures in the reverse punch, for sigloi I mean?

Which Ionian etc, mints have facing panther or lion heads?
Nemonater
Caesar

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 08:30:51 pm »

very cool!  They kind of look like banker's marks (although they're not, but in the die.), I wonder if they could have technologically evolved out of banker's marks.  I will ask, but I understand if you don't answer because you yourself are hunting for other rare varieties.  Roll Eyes  Are there other rare varieties with figures in the reverse punch, for sigloi I mean?

Which Ionian etc, mints have facing panther or lion heads?

Yes there are other rare varieties that i'm hunting down, the NumisWiki page lists some.  It's worse than looking for a needle in a haystack though, sigloi are so common, it has to be a labor of love.

JBF
Caesar

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 03:35:09 pm »

For many questions, I think that while it might seem that the reason why is unknowable, perhaps if we had more information, we could figure it (or something additional) out.  Or maybe we already have enough information, but not in the form that it will reveal itself.

In other words, why have the lion's heads in the punch?  We don't know, but to me that leads to the questions, 1) are they somehow related to banker's marks (countermarks)?, 2) what other things or critters are portrayed in the punch?

If you are looking for the reason for the lion's head types in the punch, you might see what else (things or critters) is in the punches and if they make sense with the types of cities in and around Persia.  Chances are if you look, you will get nothing, or nothing obvious, but if you don't look your chances are worse that you will find nothing.  So, it is a question if you want to use up the time in doing so.  I will be on the look out for neat sigloi, not necessarily to buy them, but to see if they can give more of a hint at what is going on with these weird, neat sigloi.

But maybe you have already done that, in any case
Thank you for bringing up something totally neat to our attention.  Smiley
Steve P
Caesar

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 03:48:25 pm »

Wow Nemonater, those are amazingly cool examples (thanks for bringing our attention to these interesting types)

Thumbs Up

Ummm, I don't see a lion's head on my humble example, but this incuse reverse has always intrigued me a tad ... maybe it's a map of the region? (yah, it's kinda like looking for animals in the clouds, eh?)

Regardless => I will certainly be looking a bit more closely at these neat Running King Siglos examples (very cool)
Nemonater
Caesar

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 06:02:10 am »

There are so many questions in this hobby that will never be answered, and this is undoubtedly one of them.

Cool siglos Steve, definitely a lion in that cloud!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Greek Coins (Moderators: Dino, Meepzorp)  |  Topic: Three Rare Sigloi With Lion Engraved Reverses « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop