Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lliria hoard new types and question_updated with full report!  (Read 1801 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Lliria hoard new types and question_updated with full report!
« on: February 06, 2019, 05:01:45 am »
Hi!

I've just stumbled upon an article revealing new types of denarii found in Lliria hoard. Leaving the link here in case not all of you have seen this article.

https://ojs.uv.es/index.php/saguntum/article/download/1637/1354

Also, by the way, do you happen to know if there any article with an overview on the entire Lliria hoard, including all quantitative data, distribution of all types, etc?..something like Mouchmov's book on Reka Devnia hoard.  I would much appreciate if share with me any material on Lliria hoard with quantitative data about the types.

I wrote to Carmen mentioned in above article, but never heard back from her.

Thanks much!

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
Re: Lliria hoard new types and question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 09:50:02 am »
Found this online

Lliria Hoard coins join OCRE
Nearly 6,000 Roman Imperial coins of the Lliria Hoard dating from Augustus to Commodus have been imported into Nomisma.org's endpoint and are available for geographic and quantitative analysis in OCRE. The coins of this hoard are now housed in two museums: the Prehistory Museum of Valencia and the Archaeological Museum of Lliria. All of the coins have been weighed and photographed, and since they each have attested findspots, they may be used to enhance the geographic visualization of the coin types from the hoard and the characteristics associated with these types (e.g., denominations or rulers). See http://nomisma.org/id/commodus for example. The Prehistory Museum of Valencia is our first Spanish partner.
Posted by Ethan Gruber at 8:37 AM
http://numishare.blogspot.com/2016/04/lliria-hoard-coins-join-ocre.html

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 11:38:49 am »
Hi Vincent,

Thank you for this info! Yes, all 6000 coins seem to be posted on the website (numismatics.org/ocre), but still it does not provide any 'big picture' of the hoard. Is there any quantitative overview of all types in a table or article, so that one can see how many specimens of for instance RIC 3, and what variants of RIC 3 are attested, and on and on for all types attested within the hoard.   

Will be much appreciated if someone can share an overview of the hoard with distribution of types (like Mouchmov's overview of Reka Devnia)

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 12:46:16 pm »
just found a new link on this hoard, though it does not provide split by types, only split by rulers. Better than nothing, but a bigger picture will be much appreciated.

https://docplayer.es/57541390-El-tesoro-de-denarios-imperiales-de-lliria-iii-valencia.html

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 01:20:12 pm »
... an article about Galba denarius with a mark from this hoard.

https://tinyurl.com/sbkbacz

it is all in Spanish, but it can be google-tranlslated with some effort

Im still in search of a bigger overview, whilst I post here some relevant articles too.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 09:49:44 am »
From what I've seen,  the American Numismatic Society has a number of examples in their collection.
Perhaps contacting them can lead you to the information you are seeking.
Good luck
PS I googled Lliria hoard and hit images...most are from the ANS collection.

Offline timka

• Caesar
Re: Lliria hoard new types and question_updated with full report!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 09:44:56 am »
Thank you, Vincent! Finally I managed to get in touch with Carmen Delegido Morant/Valencia University, and she shared with me her doctoral thesis with the  entire overview of this important hoard. She  kindly allowed to share it here on the Forum. So, here is the link with 1000 pages pdf  -  http://hdl.handle.net/10550/39268

It will be a long read for me, since it should be google-tranlsated from Spanish). But it looks like all qualitative and quantitative data is there. All the coins, types, quantities and variants are carefully described. The entire stock of decent pics of all coins is arranged chronologically, and you can find in the annex.

Perhaps Joe can link this pdf to the Forum's numiswiki - I believe this is the second most important hoard since Reka Devnia (when concerned period before 200th)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 12:26:17 pm »
Wow.  That is an impressive study.  Thank you for sharing.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 04:49:22 pm »
Timka what a generous gift by Carman Morant to make available her Thesis to us all. It is impressive!
You scored a big one here, 1000  pages with a accompanying plates of the coins.
Yes, it will take some time to digest and assimilate all the data.
Thank you also for your effort to bring it to our attention. I have a collection going from that time period and it's a blessing to refer to it as I collect.
If this was put in book form, no doubt it would be one an important reference.😘
My gratitude.
Sincerely, Vincent

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 04:59:05 pm »
That's a great gift to this Forum!

Online FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 05:21:30 am »
Very interesting, many thanks!

Alberto

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 10:14:51 am »
Somehow I missed this thread before.  I have added the Lliria Hoard with a link to webpage with the PDF NumisWiki.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity