Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Other Types of Ancient Coins (Moderators: Bacchus, crawforde)  |  Topic: Billon, India, 800 C.E.? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Billon, India, 800 C.E.?  (Read 558 times)
Robby R
Praetorian

« on: January 29, 2019, 07:02:24 pm »

I'm not quite sure how to describe it beyond what the holder says. So, are these things commonly reproduced? I assume it's debased silver but have never opened it up.

Thank you, and have a great day.

Robby Raccoon Against the World.
Finn235
Praetorian

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 08:31:36 am »

It's a Bull and Horseman jital, made by many kingdoms for many centuries before, during, and a little after the Islamic conquest of most of India. The only dedicated resource is "Jitals" by Robert Tye; he has made the plates free to download for easy reference.

I don't see enough of a legend to allow an attribution beyond "late anonymous type". Not sure of silver purity, but genuine examples are worth only a couple dollars, so I don't doubt its authenticity. They are very common coins!

Here is the prototype:
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Other Types of Ancient Coins (Moderators: Bacchus, crawforde)  |  Topic: Billon, India, 800 C.E.? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop