Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Identifying coin: IMP ALEXANDER PIVS AVG / IOVI PR OPVGNATORI  (Read 344 times)

Moia G

Hi. New here. Trying to id the following coin:

Silver colored, non-magnetic, approx 2cm.

Obv: IMP ALEXANDER PIVS AVG

Rev: IOVI PR OPVGNATORI
Jupiter standing, throwing thunderbolt , something with feathers on left wrist.

I tried to identify this myself but the angle of the right arm, the helmet on Jupiter and the object in/on his left arm seem different from the images I thought close.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Identifying coin: IMP ALEXANDER PIVS AVG / IOVI PR OPVGNATORI
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 03:23:02 pm »
Another link to check out.....

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sear5/s7870.t.html

On ancient coins, don't get too hung up on things like minor positional differences.  These were all hand cut dies, and there were undoubtedly many of them used for any given issue, so there will be differences.

Moia G

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 03:56:33 pm »
Hmm. Interesting; thank you both. A follow up if I may  - I understand that "minor positional differences" are natural but all the images have the arm with the thunderbolt separating the O from the PV. In my coin, the OPV is all together and well above the arm. Is that significant or similarly explained?

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 09:21:55 pm »
You will find many exemple similar to yours on ACsearch, like this one :
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1739693
DT

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 09:58:18 pm »
But that's the second variety of the reverse type, Jupiter holding eagle in left hand.

In general, it was up to the engraver in this period to fit in the legend around the type as best he could. He was not instructed in advance how the legend was to be divided. It is not uninteresting to observe odd breaks when they occur, but the breaks will generally be irrelevant to the definition of types and the reconstruction of the chronology of the coinage.

That changes in the later empire, when the breaks were often standardized and a change may indicate the beginning of a new issue.
Curtis Clay

Moia G

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 11:27:32 pm »
This is all quite fascinating. I had no idea that there was so much variation. Thank you all for the education.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity