Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Finally has a coin from the Andrew McCabe Collection...  (Read 1419 times)

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
Finally has a coin from the Andrew McCabe Collection...
« on: January 23, 2019, 01:19:40 pm »
Moneyer issues of Imperatorial Rome. T. Carisius. 46 BC. AR Denarius (19mm, 3.71 g, 6h). Rome mint. Head of Juno Moneta right / Implements for coining money: anvil die with garlanded punch die above, tongs and hammer on either side; all within laurel wreath. Crawford 464/2; CRI 70; Sydenham 982a; Carisia 1a; Type as RBW 1614. VF, toned, small pin hole on obverse below Moneta’s bust.

From the Andrew McCabe Collection, purchased from Peus Nachf., with old German collection ticket.

The apparent punch die on this type may be a cap of Liberty, and the lower die a generic anvil. The cap-shaped object is wreathed like a Dioscurus cap, which is the same cap worn by Vulcan, the god of metal-working. An analogue can be seen in the Scribonius Wellhead issue, RRC 416, which displays four different symbols, not three. Even rarer than the sought-after anvil is the Scribonius with a cap of Liberty, a variety not listed by Crawford. The scene on this coin may thus represent Vulcan’s generic metal-making workshop, but with the placement of the cap above the anvil, it may also be intended to allude to minting even if a punch die is not directly shown.

RRC p. 475 notes one reverse die of this issue with legend T. CARISIV (Amsterdam) as per this coin. Richard Schaefer obtained a photograph of the Amsterdam example and compared it to other examples in his Republican Die Project. In fact, reverse die matched examples to the Amsterdam coin prove the final S of CARISIVS did exist, but the die was filled at a later state. This CARISIV variety from a different die pair seems to have been caused by the same phenomenon. There is a trace of a final letter S. [Andrew McCabe]

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Finally has a coin from the Andrew McCabe Collection...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 02:24:46 pm »
Great pick up.  I had bids on a few but didn't win any.  I do have a few coins from Andrew from Forum.

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 02:50:11 pm »
    Enjoy the coin, you certainly had to work for it!

Like Jay, I have a few from that collection via Forum.  I am not entirely sure if I added any today.  Sometimes hard to say with that system.

Andrew's comments are highly valuable insights.  On this type, I had previously assumed, based on most descriptions, that the top element was undoubtedly an upper die.  After seeing sharper specimens in hand in the past year, I noticed the decoration on the top "die" and also the disproportionate large size of the die relative to the anvil and hammer. Andrew gave some updated perspective as to whether the "die" is a cap or perhaps a conflation of both.. 
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 11:34:18 pm »
I apparently acquired 4% of the offerings.... eventually to be placed in my gallery...
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 09:18:09 am »
Hi ecoli,

Nice coin! :)

It is unusually nice for the type.

It is much nicer than my example (scroll down, third coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rr_pt38.htm

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity