Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Fibulae and Clothing Items (Moderators: otlichnik, Jay GT4)  |  Topic: Interpreting ring design? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interpreting ring design?  (Read 154 times)
SeptimusT
Praetorian

« on: May 13, 2019, 10:49:36 am »

Any thoughts on what the design on this ring is (or any thoughts on it, really). I have an idea of what it might show, but I'd rather get some unbiased opinions. I know that the impression is poor, but that is the best possible in its degraded condition. It could be viewed in other orientations, the current one is just a guess.

cmcdon0923
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 12:18:42 pm »

In looking at the actual ring, the first thing that I see appears to be a horse head facing left, but I'm not sure if all what I see is the design on the ring or possibly just surface roughness.

These things can be like mini Rorschach tests.

quadrans
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 02:47:06 pm »

Look like a Capricornus to me... Roll Eyes

Q.

Jay GT4
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 05:38:14 pm »

Or Hippocamp

My Gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312

IG: @artisan.flooring
J. Grande
SeptimusT
Praetorian

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 11:09:18 am »

Agree that it is essentially an ancient Rorschach, especially when it's this degraded. I had actually thought it might show an owl with a crescent behind it (the crescent is very distinct on the ring itself), and hadn't thought of it possibly being a horse or hippocampus. Owls are not the most common design for Roman rings, but not completely unheard of either.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Fibulae and Clothing Items (Moderators: otlichnik, Jay GT4)  |  Topic: Interpreting ring design? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop