Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Assistance with Malloy Catalog re the St. George Tucker Collection  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
I recently aquired a medieval Hungarian denar issued by Venzel/Wenceslaus Premyslid (1301-1305):
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-152593

The information on the dealer's flip indicates that, three dealers ago, the coin was lot 972 in Alex J. Malloy's March [?] 1984 catalog, from the St. George Tucker Collection. I have done internet research on St. George Tucker, and found the following biographical paragraph for Henry St. George Tucker (1853 - 1932) on the website of the United States' Congress:

TUCKER, Henry St. George, (son of John Randolph Tucker and grandson of Henry St. George Tucker [1780-1848]), a Representative from Virginia; born in Winchester, Frederick County, Va., April 5, 1853; attended private schools in Richmond and Middleburg, Va.; was graduated from the law department of Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Va., in 1876; was admitted to the bar the same year and commenced practice in Staunton, Va.; elected as a Democrat to the Fifty-first and to the three succeeding Congresses (March 4, 1889-March 3, 1897); was not a candidate for renomination in 1896; elected professor of constitutional law and equity in Washington and Lee University in 1897; dean of the law school of the same university in 1900, and dean of the school of law and diplomacy in George Washington University, Washington, D.C., in 1905; president of the Jamestown Exposition Co., 1905-1907; president of the American Bar Association in 1905; unsuccessful Democratic candidate for the nomination for Governor in 1909 and again in 1921; elected as a Democrat to the Sixty-seventh Congress to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Henry D. Flood; reelected to the Sixty-eighth and to the four succeeding Congresses and served from March 21, 1922, until his death in Lexington, Va., July 23, 1932; chair, Committee on Election of the President, Vice President, and Members in Congress (53rd Congress); interment in the Presbyterian Cemetery.

http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=T000399i

I am having difficulty in locating an accessible copy of the Malloy catalog. My hope is that the catalog will identify the collector referenced on the flip, so that I can confirm the provenance of the coin as being from the collection of THIS Henry St. George Tucker, or perhaps that of a descendant or other relative. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Stkp

Offline Jordan Montgomery

• Consul
    • Gallery of my Roman Republican coin collection
Re: Assistance with Malloy Catalog re the St. George Tucker Collection
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 11:22:08 pm »
You can find a scan of that particular Malloy catalog here at the Newman Numismatic Portal. I didn't look too hard but lot 972 does have a Hungarian coin so I suspect it's yours but I didn't see anything about the provenance you mentioned, perhaps that was from an earlier auction?
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 11:54:21 am »
Jordan,

Thank you for your assistance. Catalog Lot 972 is a match to my coin (although the plate photos of the coins in the Malloy catalogs, and as depicted on the Newman Portal, leave a lot to be desired). While the catalog makes no mention of the provenance of the coin (although it mentions of the provenance of a number of other coins within the catalog from unrelated collections), the information on the dealer's flip is a precise match to this catalog -- including the estimated value of the coin stated in the catalog. I am satisfied from the information on the flip that, at one time, the coin was in a St. George Tucker Collection.

That being said, I cannot conclude that the St. George Tucker Collection is connected in any way to Congressman Henry St. George Tucker, who died in 1933, or even to a member of his family. For example, I have discovered that composer Lorraine ("Tui") St. George Tucker, who was apparently not related to the congressman, died in 2004. I have little doubt that there have been other people of less prominence than Henry and Tui bearing that compound surname.

Stkp

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 12:04:50 pm »
P.S. I have updated my description of the coin in my gallery to include the full provenance, with mention to Jordan for his assistance.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-152593
Stkp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity