Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Intaglio Eagle Hare Caesarea  (Read 1156 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Intaglio Eagle Hare Caesarea
« on: January 18, 2019, 10:56:41 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is an interesting Gemstone, I think some kind of semi translucent agate, with eagle and hare.  I see that the type is very ancient, appearing on Greek coins from the 4th century BCE, and continuing as a frequent device on Roman gems into the 2nd Century CE.  However, I have not read anything about the amuletic properties or possible mythological origins of the scene, except for a brief reference to Troy.  Any ideas would be welcome.  Thanks, V-drome

BCC G4
Roman Gem Stone
Caesarea Maritima
1st - 2nd Century CE
Eagle devouring entrails of Hare
Semi-Translucent Agate
Profile F1 var. (slightly
rounded edges), flat top
and bottom, horizontal oval.
11.5 x 8.25 x1.75mm. 0.35gm.
Type cf. Amorai-Stark, Hershkovitz,
The Hendler Collection #138.
Surface find, 1971
J. Berlin Caesarea Collection
(Click for larger pic)

Offline JBF

• Caesar
Re: Intaglio Eagle Hare Caesarea
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 11:38:50 pm »
The reference in the Iliad(?) is a prophecy, and so if you haven't, you ought to look at that, because it gives an interpretation of it.  I have thought that maybe some of the images of it in Sicilian coinage (Akragas) play off of that.

I have thought that it might be fun to find someone who think the Greeks are warlike, sexist, etc, and convince them that the Greeks can't be that bad because they put bunny rabbits on their coins, (Rhegium, Messana).

Getting them to agree, then I would like to show them an Akragas with the bunny rabbit getting his guts ripped out, build it up, then dash it down, so to speak.  :evil:

I would consider it an image of what the strong do to the weak, perhaps a might makes right implications.  perhaps even, it is futile to resist our destiny (of domination).

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 08:46:28 am »
Poor little bunny wabbit!  Thank you, JBF.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 10:48:51 am »
He's hasenpfeffer now.....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity