Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nerva draped bust Woytek question  (Read 629 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Nerva draped bust Woytek question
« on: January 18, 2019, 06:29:52 am »
Hi!

Does Woytek distinguish draped bust from standart bust for Nerva denarii? I dont see any fancy busts for Nerva denarii in RIC and RSC at all, that is why I wonder if Woytek explored in this direction (I dont have Woytek, so I cannot see).
I saw Nerva RIC 14 with drapery, and I wonder if it was noted by Woytek. So, could you please let me know if Woytek tracked fancy busts, and if RIC 14/COS IIIPP/clasped hands with drapery is there.

Thanks much for your time in advance.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Nerva draped bust Woytek question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 10:43:27 am »
Woytek's published monograph is on Trajan only.

He will be covering both Nerva and Trajan for the revised RIC, but that volume is not yet published.

His treatment of Trajan's bust types is extremely thorough and original, so I don't doubt that we may expect the same for his coverage of Nerva's busts!

Busts of Nerva with fold of cloak on shoulder in BMC or my notes thereto:

Aurei: 60, pl. 2.14; 62, pl. 2.17 (both from same obv. die).

Denarii: 74, with drapery Lanz, eBay, 25 Aug. 2012; 76 ancient imitation, hybrid. Only this imitation with COS III P P like the denarius you saw.

Sestertii: 118, with drapery Lanz 212, 2006, 362; 134, with drapery CNG E404, 2017, 507

As: 129, pl. 6.8
Curtis Clay

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 12:28:49 pm »
Woytek's published monograph is on Trajan only.

sorry, I did not know this...good to know that Nerva will be added in the next edition.

I will post here the coin I mentioned in case I manage to acquire it.

Thanks much for your time, Curtis.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 08:15:45 pm »
Please post the coin even if you miss it!

Maybe Woytek will want to include it in his revised RIC.
Curtis Clay

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 04:34:00 pm »
Curtis, here is the coin, I have it. It is well-traleved one, and it knew better days for sure. I dont see so clearly if it is COS II PP or COS III PP.  The bust has some hints of so-called 'heroic' busts of later Trajan and Hadrian.

3,11 g - 16x18mm - 7h

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 04:39:19 pm »
...also there is another one with fold of cloak that I've just won in the last Savoca Blue. I always wanted COSIIII denarius of Nerva. This one was also with a bonus - drapery!, so I had to bid on it.

18mm - 2,79g (according to the auction's listing - I have not recieved it yet)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity