Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Monogram of Theodoric(?)  (Read 582 times)

Ben B2

Monogram of Theodoric(?)
« on: January 09, 2019, 05:03:45 pm »
Hello,

I bought a big pile of culls that were once stock of Crusty Romans before they stopped trading. I was hoping to find some interesting monograms in it and an examination of the 1.25kg of culls (979 coins!) turned up 30 coins with monograms. This one is giving me trouble - on first look, it appeared to be Theodoric, which would be exactly what I was hoping for from the lot. However, it is clear in hand that the D is a B, formed by two loops instead of a bisected D, while the horizontal bar is unclear in hand (in my sketch, I have put dotted lines where I am unsure what I see). The loop of the R is clear, as is the detatched S, as indicated by the solid lines in the sketch. The bottom loop of the B could well be a trick of the light caused by damage and it could feasibly be an R.

Ive included a picture of the coin, for what its worth. Nothing is visible on the obverse. N.B. the sketch is not to scale!

Does anyone here recognise this monogram? Is it simply a variety of Theodoric? Am I a fool squinting at an odd Marcian monogram?

Offline Brian R3

• Legionary
Re: Monogram of Theodoric(?)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 04:45:04 pm »
Nothing really comes to mind with the letters you've listed on the monogram. However, sometimes they're so worn or corroded that they originally read one way, but actually are another. Can you upload a clearer, brighter pic? It's hard to read the coin as it is. I may be able to help. Also size and weight will also help if you have that information on hand.

Brian

All coins are guaranteed for eternity