Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Julius Nepos monogram  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Olybrius-coins

• Praetorian
Julius Nepos monogram
« on: July 10, 2014, 09:19:42 am »
Hi all
Dare I ask for opinions on this coin, the latest addition to my collection?
Julius Nepos monogram AE4?
Obverse: DN IVL (NEPOS PF AVG)
Reverse: monogram of Julius Nepos
RIC X 3222

Do we agree it's Nepos?

Cheers
Thomas
Greg Heinrich

Adolf K

Re: Julius Nepos monogram
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 12:44:17 am »
Yes I would agree to that, but of course it is difficult to be certain with a coin in that condition.

Offline Olybrius-coins

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 01:08:12 am »
Thanks Adolf

It really is my ugliest coin! But I'm happy to have a Nepos in any condition!
Although I guess many collectors prefer more beautiful things.

The dealer I bought it from is reputable, and provided a certificate - the only thing that gave me doubts was the fact that a Nepos is so incredibly rare.

Thomas
Greg Heinrich

Offline Brian R3

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 11:26:18 am »
Hi!  Definitely a Nepos with a bit of legend also.  Not great condition, but the toughest of the LRB monograms to find.  What is the size and weight if you don't mind me asking?

Brian

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.

Offline Olybrius-coins

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 06:38:15 pm »
Hi
It weighs 1g, measures 11mm. I think it's a little underweight for a Nepos bronze.

But I have considered the possibility of Libius Severus, Theoderic and Athalaric - they all have monograms with a 'P' or 'R' shape on the left section of the monogram.
The remaining bit of legend 'IVL' on the obverse doesn't match those rulers and suggests Nepos.
This is the ugliest coin I have ever loved!

Thomas
Greg Heinrich

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 07:39:46 pm »
I have no idea as to the identification of this coin, but as there seems to be no patina on the visible parts of the coin, this is a perfect example of a coin that needs a dremel and a soft bristled brass brush... You will remove the black crud, expose much more detail, and enhance the coin no end..
   Of course it will be shiny and unattractive after the treatment, but you can retone the coin with Jax or a similar product, or just wait, and let time do it's work... Either way, I think you should seriously consider doing some work on this poor little coin!!

Best wishes,

Lee.

Offline Olybrius-coins

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 04:18:17 am »
Thanks Lee.
I might try some very careful cleaning - there's certainly some encrustations there to be removed.
I don't know much about retoning and the collector community's view on the practice - I would be keen to hear opinions. My most important priority here is to avoid reducing the value of what seems to be an extremely rare (R5) coin, albeit one in less than pristine condition.

Cheers
Greg Heinrich

Offline Brian R3

• Legionary
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 04:54:21 pm »
Coming back to this very late as I've been away from the forum .for a long time. Thomas, as I stated in my earlier post, it's 100% Julius Nepos. No dremel required. The monogram is easy to see and the legend beginning like that is only for Nepos. Thank you for the size and weight. With LRB coins like this some are far overweight and some are far underweight as there is only a theoretical standard for bronzes. Archaeological reports have some of these listed at below 0.6g, so this is fine.

Brian

All coins are guaranteed for eternity