Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Forum (Moderator: Dr. Danny S. Jones)  |  Topic: Important New Research Tool 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Important New Research Tool  (Read 609 times)
Carausius
Caesar

« on: January 11, 2019, 06:21:09 am »

I wanted to alert Forum members to an important new research tool.  Many of you have likely used or heard of acsearch.  Recently, they've added an image search service.  You submit an image of one or both sides of a coin, and acsearch will find matches in its database.  This can be used for provenance searches and also for die studies. The charge is cheap (IMO), and the results are immediate.  Subscribers get 20 credits to play with, after which you mist pay extra doe the service.  I have no interest or affiliation with acsearch.   

shanxi
Tribunus Plebis 2018
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 05:31:39 am »

I tried three coins. A tetartemorion (no results) and a Denar of Antonia which  comes from an 1999 HD Rauch auction (no results) and last one, a coin from Hierocaesareia from which I knew before that it is listed on acsearch (exact match found). Nevertheless a bit disappointing.

I also wonder if I will get results older than 1999 if I don't have a premium account ? It's nowhere mentioned.

Carausius
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 07:03:20 am »

Results depend on the database.  Acsearch is mostly post 2000, from my experience.  I wonder, is your Rauch auction in their database?  If not, that explains the miss. 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Forum (Moderator: Dr. Danny S. Jones)  |  Topic: Important New Research Tool « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop