Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Quastion about customs  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Basileus Nikephoros Antialcidas

• Consul
  • Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possi
Quastion about customs
« on: January 13, 2019, 07:39:17 am »
Hello! I leave in European union country and I really want to buy a beautiful coin from America. The thing is, would it go through customs, because the idea of the opening of the envelope and all this people touching the ancient coin drives me crazy and also I am afraid it would be extremely expensive for me to pay the customs of something that comes from US. Is there any knowledge about this subject that I should be aware of. Is there any possible for something that comes in such a small envelope to just pass through customs without getting opened. Or it will never be possible for me to buy a coin from the US? I really appreciate all your help and thank you for your answers!
ABSQUE ARGENTO OMNIA VANA

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Quastion about customs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 10:17:48 am »
It depends on your country and on how the seller sends the coin. Usually sellers will send with registered shipping and a declaration of the contents, which makes it likely that it will go through customs, again depending on your country. Then it might either be processed automatically. This usually does not mean anyone touches the actual coins. Or you may have to go somewhere to do the process yourself, usually if the necessary paperwork was not in order. In this case, you yourself open the envelope or package and the officials will not touch your coins.

It's usually a 7% VAT for collectors' coins but sometimes there may be trouble. Here in Germany they occasionally select the wrong entry in their classification system (like "antiquities, more than 100 years old", which is not wrong but there are better matches). In that case you have to argue, which usually works but is exhausting, or you have to pay the higher VAT. This can really hurt.

If it's a small, private seller that you know, they may send your coin unregistered, in a normal envelope. But I would only do it with people I know, because if the buyer claims they have not received the coin and they paid with Paypal, they can get their money back from you. It's happened to me several times.

Currently I have a shipment of coins that was incorrectly classified and now I'm trying to get my money back, almost 100€.
Andreas Reich

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 02:55:00 pm »
We ship all over the world, including the European Union, without problems. Sometimes buyers are charged customs and/or VAT. Does the possibility of paying taxes to your country mean buying is impossible? 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 03:36:23 pm »
The packages are typically not opened when entering Europe. VAT (when it is charged) is based on the value on the Customs declaration.

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 04:53:12 pm »
The packages are typically not opened when entering Europe. VAT (when it is charged) is based on the value on the Customs declaration.

I get a letter from my custom office (40 km away!) that they have a parcel for me and I have to present them the invoice (e.g. from Paypal). But mostly I have the coins in the mail without VAT. I know that legally in such cases I have to pay VAT personally.

Best regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity