Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting L.Censorinus Denarius  (Read 409 times)

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
Interesting L.Censorinus Denarius
« on: January 11, 2019, 08:18:34 pm »
I was very excited to get this coin. On the surface it looks like any other L.Censorinus denarius. However, it happens to be quite rare. Supposedly there are 5 known examples with this obverse symbol and reverse letter pair. In this case the fish on the obverse is off the flan. This pairing is not in Crawford's table XXIX. This coin along with  several other coins from the same auction were viewed by the authors of a soon to be released paper on the L. Censorinus series.  

From the auction site:

"It is fortunate that the specialized collection of denarii of L.CENSOR with symbols, presented here, can be accompanied by a study never undertaken so far. The paper I denari di L.CENSOR con simboli/lettere (RRC 363/1a-c) will appear in Monete Antiche Nov-Dec 2018 and its authors have kindly agreed to provide us a preprint, from which this summary is drawn. They were welcome to profit from an in person examination of this collection at our place. Additional data and information are presented and discussed in the paper."

I am very happy to have this coin in my collection.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-152431

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
Re: Interesting L.Censorinus Denarius
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 11:26:44 pm »
This was an interesting offering, which was presented with a lengthier excerpt of an article. Interesting reading.  I am not 100% convinced of the argument, as there may be simpler explanations forbthe apparent rarity, but worth considering.  I picked up one of this group, but missed another bunch.  I hope to read the full article some day.  Mine will be in my gallery eventually.
Thank you for teeing up this topic.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

All coins are guaranteed for eternity