Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fourree or lamination?  (Read 598 times)

Offline Basileus Nikephoros Antialcidas

• Consul
  • Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possi
Fourree or lamination?
« on: January 10, 2019, 09:45:58 am »
I bought this denarius as a fourree and was thinking after I red some articles about lamination, could this be a lamination defect on an original denarius or it is indeed just a fourree? I thank you all in advance for your answers!
Coin is Vespasian
RIC 43
2.55g.
ABSQUE ARGENTO OMNIA VANA

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Fourree or lamination?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 10:33:55 am »
If it is a fourree the interior is coppery. In the photos, it look like lamination or corrosion defects but, is the photo black and white?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 11:47:41 am »
If it is a fourree the interior is coppery. In the photos, it look like lamination or corrosion defects but, is the photo black and white?
Thank you for replying! No the photo is not black and white. That's how it looks and in reality, it is dark with a very small coppery hue only on some parts of the peelings.

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 12:30:33 pm »
I just found a die link! This is the same type with I think the same observe of mine which is in British Museum!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 09:42:05 am »
Much more likely official with a die link. There are fourrees made with fake dies impressed from genuine coins but that was most common during the Roman Republic.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 07:09:12 am »
The coin shows a seam at the bottom of the reverse that is very characteristic of a fourree.  Copper cores  are subject to dark toning so a lack of red color is common.  If you want to prove beyond any doubt what is going on below, you can cut the coin in half and see the middle but I would be perfectly happy calling it fourree without destroying it.  Experts refuse to allow the possibility that such coins were made in the mint basing this on the fact they have seen coins that most certainly were not.  Nothing is proven 'not' by proving there are other things that are not.  I have no idea who made the coin, where or when but believe you are safe calling it fourree.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity