Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carinus C'sOTD  (Read 1168 times)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Carinus C'sOTD
« on: January 04, 2019, 02:02:31 am »
Carinus C'sOTD

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-152190

115 Carinus (282-283 A.D. Caesar 283-285 A.D. Augustus), AE-Antoninianus, RIC V-II 253F, Rome, -/-//KAĐ„, FIDES MILITVM, Fides standing left, #1

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-152105

115 Carinus (282-283 A.D. Caesar 283-285 A.D. Augustus), AE-Antoninianus, RIC V-II 212C, Lugdunum, -/A//--, AEQVITAS AVG, Equity standing left, #1

Regards

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Re: Carinus C'sOTD
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 06:03:30 am »
Hi Joe.

Two very attractive examples. I particularly like the  RIC V-II 253F, Rome. It makes me appreciate the effect of age on some ancient coins. On your wonderful example in spite of a little wear, it has made the portrait more expressive and the details more prominent.

My collector friends who like modern proof coins miss out of this, although I'm sure they would recoil with horror at the thought of leaving a proof 5 pound Queen Elizabeth silver coin buried in the garden for a few years to attain some character!

A modern proof coin with all it accurate precision is to me rather like a press photograph. Sharp and beautiful in its own way, but not as expressive as a painting can be. Which why I suppose in my country Australia, there is a portrait gallery of paintings in Parliament House of former prime ministers, not photographs.   

By way of example at what I'm getting at, I have taken the liberty of placing an image of your expressive Carinus ant next to a proof five pound Queen Elizabeth II. A beautiful portrait of the young Queen soon after her coronation I'm sure you agree, but the very brightness of the pristine metal hides both depth and detail in comparison to the ancient characterful portrait of Carinus.

Regards,

Steve

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Carinus C'sOTD
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 07:55:27 am »
Dear Steve,

First of all, nice to hear from you again, and Happy New Year... ;) +++

As always, I enjoyed your comment, and perfectly agree with you,  +++

Thanks again

Regards

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity