Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anastasius follis Small size? Pre Reform  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Britanikus

• Caesar
    • Galerie
Anastasius follis Small size? Pre Reform
« on: January 02, 2019, 11:03:53 pm »
I came across an article some time ago about the small Pre reform coins of Anastasius .I was looking in some of my coins and it looks like I have one really small in size.

I would like to get more info and rarity  about this coins.Thanks in advance.

Size 22-24mm  weight 8.56gm.   The other coins are for size comparison

Offline byzcoincoll

• Praetorian
Re: Anastasius follis Small size? Pre Reform
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:04:25 am »
Size and weight of your coin fit the specifications for the small module Folles of Anastasius I. They are actually post-reform coins (pre-reform is only the Nummus), yet from the first phase of a lighter weight standard. There are six different basic types of the small Folles. Yours is Sear 16. They are relatively common, but considerably less common than the large module Folles. Your coin is a nice example for the issue.

Offline Britanikus

• Caesar
    • Galerie
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 12:03:31 pm »
Thank you

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 02:55:46 pm »
Small module coinage was issued in two stages, 498-507 and 507-512. Yours belongs to the second stage, which is somewhat more common. Nice coin!
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 04:02:05 pm »
That’s a great coin to own.  Congrats.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity