Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Internet challenged? We are happy to take your order over the phone 252-646-1958.

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion  |  Topic: New to cleaning 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New to cleaning  (Read 232 times)
Brian G2
Legionary

« on: January 02, 2019, 05:48:14 pm »

Hi, Iím new to cleaning. I soaked this coin in distilled water for 24 hrs. then picked at it with a diamond tipped tool(made for Roman coins) under a microscope.  I feel like Iím doing a decent job with it, thereís still a green patina and I havenít chipped away any of the features.

My question is, how do I get rid of that last bit of sand and dirt remaining on the areas I have already done? I canít just keep picking at it. Do I put it back in the water ? A toothbrush and/or Q-tip wonít remove it, Iíve tried.  I want to get it as clean as possible.

EDIT:  there is actually no green to it,  when looking at it with the naked eye.  I think I was bugging out looking at it under the microscope.

I posted a before and after picture.  I think itís Valens.[/img]

Thanks,

Brian
Jay GT4
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 07:17:52 pm »

I think it looks great as is!

My Gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312

IG: @artisan.flooring
J. Grande
otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis 2016
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 04:46:35 pm »

It does look great.  If the dirt is still bothering you, you should be able to use the same tool.  Another option is to get a pin and file/wear down the tip on a whetstone till it is rounded a bit instead of super sharp.  You can even use a sharp pin very carefully and with a very low angle to the coin surface, but it is riskier.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
Brian G2
Legionary

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 08:15:09 pm »

Thanks for the encouraging comments and tips.

Below are pics of the final product. I went after it with the picking tool for about 2-3 more hours, then dried it on the baseboard heater for 3 days, the applied renaissance wax. These pics are from about an hour after application and a few minutes after I buffed it.

I would love some comments and constructive criticism. How does everyone feel about renaissance wax? I feel mixed about it. It definitely brought out the features and gave it a nice look, but I also liked the gray-ish green mat look that it had previously. Wish I had taken a picture prior to applying the wax.
otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis 2016
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 03:21:37 pm »

Looks good

The glossy look from the Red wax will go away over time.  You can either re-buff it again (don't need to add more wax) to get the shine back, or leave it go matt.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion  |  Topic: New to cleaning « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop