Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New to cleaning  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Brian G2

• Legionary
New to cleaning
« on: January 02, 2019, 07:48:14 pm »
Hi, I’m new to cleaning. I soaked this coin in distilled water for 24 hrs. then picked at it with a diamond tipped tool(made for Roman coins) under a microscope.  I feel like I’m doing a decent job with it, there’s still a green patina and I haven’t chipped away any of the features.

My question is, how do I get rid of that last bit of sand and dirt remaining on the areas I have already done? I can’t just keep picking at it. Do I put it back in the water ? A toothbrush and/or Q-tip won’t remove it, I’ve tried.  I want to get it as clean as possible.

EDIT:  there is actually no green to it,  when looking at it with the naked eye.  I think I was bugging out looking at it under the microscope.

I posted a before and after picture.  I think it’s Valens.[/img]

Thanks,

Brian

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: New to cleaning
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 09:17:52 pm »
I think it looks great as is!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 06:46:35 pm »
It does look great.  If the dirt is still bothering you, you should be able to use the same tool.  Another option is to get a pin and file/wear down the tip on a whetstone till it is rounded a bit instead of super sharp.  You can even use a sharp pin very carefully and with a very low angle to the coin surface, but it is riskier.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Brian G2

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 10:15:09 pm »
Thanks for the encouraging comments and tips.

Below are pics of the final product. I went after it with the picking tool for about 2-3 more hours, then dried it on the baseboard heater for 3 days, the applied renaissance wax. These pics are from about an hour after application and a few minutes after I buffed it.

I would love some comments and constructive criticism. How does everyone feel about renaissance wax? I feel mixed about it. It definitely brought out the features and gave it a nice look, but I also liked the gray-ish green mat look that it had previously. Wish I had taken a picture prior to applying the wax.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 05:21:37 pm »
Looks good

The glossy look from the Red wax will go away over time.  You can either re-buff it again (don't need to add more wax) to get the shine back, or leave it go matt.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity