Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Just got my first coins to clean  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Gestin R

• Legionary
Just got my first coins to clean
« on: January 15, 2019, 01:30:25 am »
I recently discovered ancient coins and wanted to try to start getting some. Figured it would be nice to start with some lower quality uncleaned coin to try with first so I don't damage anything nice so I bought two lots with a total of 287 coins. was hoping maybe I could get some advise from u guys who have been doing this awhile on anything that stands out I should be careful of when I start.

Offline B-Chicago

• Praetorian
Re: Just got my first coins to clean
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 01:50:02 pm »
I suggest taking the slow approach

and finding a better supplier - 287 culls is an awful lot of not much in expectations

I learned on other peoples mistakes - partially cleaned or over cleaned coins that are cheaper than re dirtied bunkos

some other tips:

dont use anything acidic unless its good silver and even then use it sparingly

clean the containers you use to soak them in every once in a while - I use vinegar and follow that up by a thorough rinsing

cut down the bristles on a toothbrush to half the normal length

1st step for me is almost always a soak in dish soap and warm water

sometimes a good boil will break down encrustations - I use baking soda and water in an old pot - and I do it outside far from the kitchen

you dont need to change the distilled water as often as people think -  I change it every 4-6 weeks - or - when it gets cloudy

let the coins dry out before you start scrubbing

I avoid electrolysis - ruins them in my opinion - other people have different opinion - but I say don't be in a rush, you'll get far better results by being patient

Offline Gestin R

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 04:31:52 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions I've been reading through some of the older post to for advise I'll definitly be taking my time. These uncleaned coins are definitly not top quality and I'll probally change suppliers later on after I start having some success with these less quality ones

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 05:19:18 am »
I agree with all of B-Chicago's good advice. 

However, I think culls are a great place to learn and practice cleaning on.  Looks like you have some pieces there with a solid patina under the dirt.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity