Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meaning of Π − Π on the obverse coins of Tarsos  (Read 891 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Meaning of Π − Π on the obverse coins of Tarsos
« on: December 31, 2018, 10:53:52 am »
Many larger Roman provincial coins of Tarsos have Π − Π flanking the emperors bust.  Does anyone know what it means?

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Meaning of Π − Π on the obverse coins of Tarsos
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 12:04:59 pm »
It seems to stand for ΠΑΤΗΡ ΠΑΤΡΙΔΟΣ, the Greek version of the Latin Pater Patriae:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=112

But I didn't find a "real" reference for that  :(.

Regards

Altamura

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 12:10:00 pm »

But I didn't find a "real" reference for that  :(.

It appears also on Syro-Phoenicia Tetradrachms. Therefore a possible reference is: Michel and Karin Prieur "The Syro-Phoenicia Tetradrachms and their Fractions", p. XI (titles)

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 12:18:06 pm »
I found something: In Ruprecht Ziegler, "Münzen Kilikiens als Zeugnis kaiserlicher Getreidespenden", Jahrbuch für Numismatik und Geldgeschichte 27 (1977) 29-67.

There he writes on top of page 59:
"Der Titel „pater patriae" kam in der Kaiserzeit bekanntlich ausschließlich dem Kaiser zu und gerade auf den tarsischen Münzen des dritten Jahrhunderts n. Chr. erscheint er als
Π(άτερ) Π(ατρίδος) fast durchgehend an zentraler Stelle rechts und links neben dem Kaiserporträt 178."
http://www.bngev.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/1977-Band-XXVII.pdf#page=67&zoom=auto,-276,645

In short: Especially on the coins of Tarsos in the third century the title pater patriae shows up on the obverses on the left an right side of the emperor' portrait in the form of Π − Π.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 01:07:55 pm »

Same information is on p. 734 of Historia Nvmorvm by Barclay V. Head.

Pekka K

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 01:19:43 pm »
That was actually what I came up with, but thought I must be wrong because it is Latin.  I am surprised.  Thanks.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity