Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help needed for a strange Nemesis  (Read 705 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Help needed for a strange Nemesis
« on: December 24, 2018, 08:24:10 am »
Dear friends!

I need help for a strange Nemesis/Aequitas of Nikopolis:

Moesia inferior, Nikopolis ad Istrum, Elagabal, AD 218-222
AE 27, 10.79g, 26.78mm, 15°
struck under governor Novius Rufus
obv. [AVT K] M AVR - AN[TWNEINOC]
Laureate head r.
rev. VP NOBIOV ROVFOV NIKOPOLITWN PRO (PR ligate)
in upper l. field one below the other C IC / TR
in r. field ON
Nemesis-Aequitas in long garment and mantle stg. l., holding goad in l. arm and in
extended r. hand scales; no wheel; over l. shoulder strange longish object with knob at top.
ref. a) AMNG I/1, 1962 (1 ex., Milano); object over her l. shoulder not mentioned!
b) Varbanov (engl.) 4048 (= AMNG 1962)
c) Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov (2018) No. 8.26.35.5 (this coin)
scarce, F/F+, dark green patina, patina damage on obv.

This strange object I have found only on this type. I have listed the possibilities which came in my mind:
(1) It is only a die break. But the coin from Wildwinds have it in another shape with knots!
(2) Part of her hairdo: Rather not
(3) A quiver, but the quiver is seen usually over the right shoulder
(4) Scabbard for sword, but I have never seen a Nemesis with sword
(5) Cubit or measuring rod. That would match the pic from Wildwinds where it has knots = marks of the cubit

I think the most probable is the cubit. What do you think?

I have attached a scsan of my coin (upper one) and the coin from Wildwinds (lower one)

Best regards

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
Re: Help needed for a strange Nemesis
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 03:54:41 pm »
I would suggest it's connected to the object in the left hand which I do not believe is a Goad

A goad is a basic pointy stick used as a cattle prod

The item in her left hand has right angle protrusions. It does not appear as a pointed stick!  But I have no suggestion. If the item over the shoulder is a cubit perhaps the item in hand is some type of building or measuring device.

Was there Imperial construction in Moesia that this might be referencing? Something granted them by Elagabalus.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity