Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 2019 NYINC  (Read 3703 times)

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
2019 NYINC
« on: December 23, 2018, 07:32:44 pm »
The New York International is just 2 weeks away!  Hope to see some of you there! 
("All" of you would be nice, but probably not realistic.)
I like the Hyatt much, much better than the old Waldorf venue.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: 2019 NYINC
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 01:41:53 am »
I never cared for the Waldorf. But it is a show that I attend every year without fail. Stkp

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 05:45:16 pm »
This is my nearly annual NYINC debriefing. It was a busy weekend both numismatically and socially. Midweek, I won a wonderful coin with an undisclosed provenance, which I will share after I receive it. I had the chance to meet a few Forum members briefly at the bourse (PMah and Ed Snibel). I chatted with several dealers and bought a few retail coins. I sold some coins to help pay for the retail purchases, and consigned a few more to future auctions. I ate and drank more than usual. Even though I spent 2 and a half days in NY, it felt like a whirlwind. I'm on the train, homeward bound as I write this. I'll sleep well tonight!

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 07:22:30 pm »
  It was a busy week.  Very nice to meet Carausius in person, who pointed me towards a batch of 100 coins that needed viewing.  All 100.  I should be able to see again in a few days. Maybe.  I will make renewed efforts to update my galleries. 
   I found slightly fewer Roman Republic offerings on the bourse floor than I would have liked.  Perhaps I did not seek as vigorously as possible, as I had looked at precisely 3 zillion auction lots earlier in the week.
   I managed to get to three really well-crafted presentations, on lightweight Byzantine solidii by R. Hoge, the 1848 French competition by J. Chandrasekhar, and Joel Iskowitz presenting his own medallic designs. Highly recommended if you get a chance to see or read elsewhere. 
Missed having Joe and Forum table!  First met Joe at NYINC ! 

Paul 

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 11:19:35 pm »
For me it was just one busy day (Saturday) at the bourse. I bought quite a few medieval Hungarian coins, some other medievals and a few ancient Greek coins. I'll be posting them to my gallery in due course. I look forward to this show every year. Stkp

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 09:01:14 am »
I have begun to post my acquisitions from the NYINC in my gallery. Eight medieval Hungarian coins that I bought there are the subjects of other posts:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=114019.msg715162#msg715162
and
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=118005.msg715163#msg715163

Another of my acquisitions is a very nice grossi from Ragusa:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-152636

I'll be posting a few more medieval Hungarian coins, a few more miscellaneous medieval coins (Venetian and Russian) and a few ancient Greek bronze and silver coins from that show, in the next few weeks (I hope).

I always feel like a "bottom feeder" on the NYINC bourse. I emerge from a successful day of collecting having spent in the aggregate less than many people spend there on a single coin. Yet I look forward to that show as one of the few in which I can be confident about finding many coins that fit within my collecting interests. I attend it every year.

It would be nice if, next year, we organized a dinner for all FORVM members who happen to be at the NYINC on the same Friday or Saturday night.

Stkp

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 09:17:28 am »
I’m going to try to make an appearance next year.  Probably stay Friday night.

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 09:29:58 am »
I usually go on the Friday, but couldn't take the day off from work this year, so I went on the Saturday. Stkp

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 03:24:56 pm »
I have begun to post my acquisitions from the NYINC in my gallery........
I always feel like a "bottom feeder" on the NYINC bourse. I emerge from a successful day of collecting having spent in the aggregate less than many people spend there on a single coin. Yet I look forward to that show as one of the few in which I can be confident about finding many coins that fit within my collecting interests. I attend it every year.

It would be nice if, next year, we organized a dinner for all FORVM members who happen to be at the NYINC on the same Friday or Saturday night.

Stkp

Nice coins, thanks for posting.   I appreciate the Forum galleries as a great way to see coins that are not my collecting interest (at least currently) and ask questions about those coins from time to time.  Many generous folks.  

It is easy to feel like a bottom feeder at NYINC, but it is the one USA show where everything is non-US coinage.  A very different vibe from most shows today.  

The dinner idea is great, although lunch or drinks may be easier to set up.  Many of the specialized clubs have an event on the Friday night .  I probably live closer than 99.99% of us, and I will try to tee it up earlier in November and make some suggestions.

Paul 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity