Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nero Sestertius  (Read 1500 times)

Andrew B8

Nero Sestertius
« on: December 16, 2018, 08:18:54 am »
Hi all, I purchased this Sestertius of Nero recently from a trusted Dealer/collector and all seems fine to me as a newcomer. However a more experienced friend of mine has his doubts? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks. Andy

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
Re: Nero Sestertius
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 11:02:43 am »
The weight of the piece is always a real help ... oh, and good luck with your new addition

cheers

Oh, by the way => I have/had a Nero example (very similar) that was an "As" rather than a Sestertius (wanna see it?)

Nero AE As
Date: 65 AD
Diameter: 28.4 mm
Weight: 11.3 gr
Obverse: NERO CLAVD CAESAR AVG GER P M TR P IMP P P - Bare head of Nero, globe at point of bust
Reverse: S-C, Victory advancing left, holding shield inscribed S P Q R
References: RIC 477

Andrew B8

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 11:23:04 am »
Thanks for getting back Steve. The weight is approx 8.8g and is about 29mm in diameter. Smaller than other Sestertius I have but I have never had a Nero before. Very nice coin by the way.

Andrew B8

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 11:51:42 am »
Been looking up and it is obviously an "as" as opposed to a sestertius. However still a nice coin. If its legit???

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 02:03:38 pm »
Your coin  looks authentic to me.
Curtis Clay

Andrew B8

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 02:54:39 pm »
Thanks for your comment Curtis.

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 10:34:08 pm »
What words (or tag) did the dealer use when describing this coin?
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Andrew B8

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 03:46:45 am »
Hi, he did say it was a Sestertius of Nero.

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 02:20:34 pm »
Interesting, Andrew.  As Steve P indicated, that's an As rather than a SestertiusWeight is a helpful data point for identification and authentication.  There are many useful resources on this board that you will enjoy reading as you delve into ancients.
    I am more concerned about the dealer's identification skills than the coin's authenticity, which looks almost exactly what one would expect for this type. Highly recognizable and a lot of key features are clear.  It is frequently seen in this condition and it was a large issue under Nero.  Which is why it is puzzling to me that a "dealer" would be so far off the correct identification.  In the same degree of wear, a Sestertius of Nero would typically weigh 3 to nearly 4 times the weight of an As; indeed it was worth 4 Asses.  A sestertius is also much broader.
    For the same overall condition, Nero Sestertii would typically be priced considerably more than an As.   The big coin made it easier to fit more complex designs.  So that's another point a dealer should have spotted.
   Don't name the dealer or price per Forum rules, but as Forum says, "know the dealer or know the coin".  Check out wildwinds for many great examples.
   I will post a side by side later today.

Paul 

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 02:57:09 pm »
What’s confusing is that on ac search, asses like yours are identified as RIC 475.
And if you check on wilbwinds, RIC 475 is a Sestertius.....
DT

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 03:37:27 pm »
In the revised RIC I of 1984, RIC 475 is a Lugdunum Victory As like yours.

Don't know where the Wildwinds attribution came from. In the original RIC of 1923, the numbering of Nero's coin ends before 475.

Apparently just a typo; for Sestertius the cataloguer should have written As. The coin described and illustrated by Wildwinds is an As not a sestertius.
Curtis Clay

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 08:42:28 pm »
    So, just to close out my contribution, here are side by sides of the same Nero As (Victory/Shield) and two Nero Sestertii (Temple of Janus and Roma).  The coins are quite distinct in size, both breadth and thickness.

Your As/Victory is a bit more worn, but that would be proportional in equally worn coins of any denomination.  So it is a bit puzzling why a "dealer" would confuse the denomination

Now, not everyone who sells coins is really a "dealer", and perhaps the take-away could be what trade organizations does the "dealer" belong to and what guarantees are given?  If the answer is "none" to the first, then the answer to the second question is probably not all that meaningful.  Highly qualified dealers do occasionally get something wrong, but such dealers will reverse a sale if it's their mistake.

Enjoy collecting!

Paul 

Andrew B8

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 04:37:08 am »
Thanks for all your reply's. Yes I have found Sestertius in the past. Well worn and nothing on them and they have been a lot thicker. I do still like the coin though and believe the person who sold it made a genuine mistake in his description. Thanks again for all your responses. Andy

All coins are guaranteed for eternity