Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gordian/Lycia, Phaselis/Aphrodite  (Read 948 times)

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
Gordian/Lycia, Phaselis/Aphrodite
« on: December 15, 2018, 09:31:37 pm »
I haven't posted anything for a while so I thought that I would show of this extremely rare Gordian III from Lycia, Phaelis.

2018.335.001, Gordian III; Lycia Phaselis
AE34; 24.06 g; 1h

Obverse: ΑΥ Κ ΜΑΡ ΑΝΤ - ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC CE; Bust right, laureate, draped and cuirassed.
Reverse: ΦΑCΕΛΙ-ΤWΝ; Cultus figure of Aphrodite standing facing; fillets haning from arms; veil supported by two Erotes; at her feet to right altar and small nude figure moving right.
Ref: von Aulock Lycia 267, citing a single example in the British Museum, BMC 22.
Notes: Ex G&M Auc 257, Lot 618

c.rhodes

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
Re: Gordian/Lycia, Phaselis/Aphrodite
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 12:03:08 am »
Great coin Charlie, that reverse is really something, I don't collect ancients any more but still watch forvm

Pete

All coins are guaranteed for eternity