Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with ID - bronze, 18mm, Jupiter & victory reverse  (Read 200 times)

Offline Edgar B

• Legionary
Help with ID - bronze, 18mm, Jupiter & victory reverse
« on: December 15, 2018, 11:06:51 am »
Hi all,
I'm having trouble identifying this bronze coin, which I think is probably Roman.  It's 17-18mm wide, and shows Jupiter holding Victory on the reverse.  However, I don't recognize the ruler on the obverse, and I'm having trouble reading the script.  The depiction on the reverse reminds me of some late Roman bronze coins I have, but this one just seems different, especially since it's about 2mm thick.  Does anybody know the era, or ruler, this coin may be from?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Help with ID - bronze, 18mm, Jupiter & victory reverse
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 11:25:47 am »

Magydus under Traian, like:

http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/3/2682/

(previous year  :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Delta: = 14)

Pekka K

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 12:08:24 pm »
With IΔ it is this one: http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/3/2681/

In Friedrich Imhoof-Blumer, "Zur griechischen und römischen Münzkunde", SNR 14, 1908, there are listet all these numbers from Magydos known to him on pages 64 and 65:
https://www.e-periodica.ch/digbib/view?pid=snr-002:1908:14::445#69
From the distribution of the numbers over the reigns of the different rules he follows that the numbers cannot be regnal years. There is a guess that the numbers are counting some unregular festivals. In the SNG Pfälzer Privatsammlungen from 1993 it is stated by Johannes Nollé that it is still unclear what the numbers are counting, but certainly no years.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Edgar B

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 12:33:22 pm »
Thank you both very much for your help!  Very interesting coin, thank you!

Edgar

All coins are guaranteed for eternity