Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Thick Greek bronze with pegasos?  (Read 324 times)

Offline Marsha

• Consul
Thick Greek bronze with pegasos?
« on: December 13, 2018, 11:01:48 pm »
Even with the visible script, I am having difficulty with this one received in a group

20mm and 11 grams - thick

Marsha

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Thick Greek bronze with pegasos?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 01:18:23 am »

Offline Marsha

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 10:22:14 am »
Thanks....  Appears to be a scarce type

Marsha

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 12:53:06 pm »
… Kings of Macedon. Thessalonica ...
Which ones?  :)

These city coins have been minted probably only after Macedon had been conquered by the Romans and certainly until times where there haven't been Macedonian kings any more.

See e.g. Theodoros Kourempanas, "Three parallel issues of Thessaloniki, Pella and Amphipolis at the end of the 2nd century BC", NomKhron 29 (2011), 25-33:
https://www.academia.edu/10028116/Three_parallel_issues_of_Thessaloniki_Pella_and_Amphipolis_at_the_end_of_the_2nd_century_BC._NomKhron_29_2011_25-33
(if you scroll down you find the English version of the text), where he states that "the Dionysos/goat type undoubtedly dates to after 115 BC".

Regards

Altamura

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 03:12:15 pm »
... where he states that "the Dionysos/goat type undoubtedly dates to after 115 BC". ...
Sorry, I missed the first part of the sentence in my citation  :-\:
"The Dionysos/Pegasos type of Thessaloniki that follows the Dionysos/goat type undoubtedly dates to after 115 BC."

Now it makes sense, I hope  ;).

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity