Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nero coin  (Read 615 times)

Offline Timmy L

• Praetorian
Nero coin
« on: December 13, 2018, 01:46:55 pm »
Does this Nero coin look legit? I was unable to get weight and dimensions from seller. I am interested in getting a Nero coin for my collection even if its not the best quality. I just dont want a fake. I will work on getting the weight and dimensions

Capture" border="0 Capture2" border="0

Offline Timmy L

• Praetorian
Re: Nero coin
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 01:56:34 pm »
Capture" border="0 Capture2" border="0

It looks similar too: But I am not sure?

milne 237   Nero Billon Tetradrachm of Alexandria. Year 11=64/5 AD. NERW KLAV KAIS SEB GER AV, radiate bust right / AVTOKPA, eagle walking left with palm branch, LIA to left, simpulum to right.

Capture" border="0

Offline Timmy L

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 01:57:25 pm »
Capture" border="0

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 02:20:55 pm »
I suggest you buy your coins from ForumAncientCoins.com.  

"If you are considering purchasing this coin please know that it is usually not possible to authenticate an ancient coin from a photograph. If you are not confident that either the coin is genuine, or the dealer is reputable with expertise and a guarantee, do not buy. In short, either know the coin or know the seller."

Offline Timmy L

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 03:16:02 pm »
I didnt even realize this site had an auction. going to check it out now. Thanks all!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 05:24:10 pm »
Not only an auction but a store as well...

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 07:05:47 pm »
If you are considering purchasing this coin please know that it is usually not possible to authenticate an ancient coin from a photograph. If you are not confident that either the coin is genuine, or the dealer is reputable with expertise and a guarantee, do not buy. In short, either know the coin or know the seller.

Screening purchases here is not allowed. If you do not know either the coin or the seller, do not buy. Do not buy even if someone on the internet says the photo looks OK. That is not good enough.

Since you are a new collector and don't "know the coin" you must buy only from reputable sellers with expertise and a guarantee of authenticity.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 04:31:09 pm »
These Nero tetradrachms from Alexandria can sometimes suffer from internal corrosion that radically reduces weight.  A friend years ago had one that was so light that it would float on water for about fifteen minutes and then then when taken out after finally sinking would seep water for several days. 

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 04:39:47 pm »
Internal corrosion is not only found on Nero’s tetradrachms....it was also the case with Nero’s own head......😉
DT

All coins are guaranteed for eternity